Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Charlie O'Sullivan

Default Edubuntu Trial Australia

Hi All,
I am an educator from the North Coast of NSW, Australia. I coordinating a trial project for Edubuntu for the Catholic Education Office
in Lismore, NSW, Australia. The plan is:
Run a trial in one primary school as follows:
Give each of the 60 Year 5/6 kids a new netbook.
Use Cisco managed wireless.
Run Edubuntu on the netbooks.
Some background:
I don't have a Linux or tech background at all but have a lot of experience
using IT in education.
The Catholic Education Office run a wan across their 48 north coast schools using
xp and novell.
They want to drop Microsoft altogether.
This trial will determine if they role the model out in all their 48 schools.
The Office have a couple of savvy linux turks who have a good technical
knowledge but no education background.

I would love to get in touch with an other schools who are using Ubuntu/Edubuntu and who have recently started using Netbooks. We are looking at two models: Intel Classmate 3 and HP Mini books. Also anyone who is using ubuntu with Promethean IWBs.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
P.S. I also have a
website www.primaryschool.com.au
that I have been running as a hobby for 7 years.
Regards
Charlie O'Sullivan

--
This email is intended for the named recipients only. It may contain privileged and/or confidential information. Named recipients may only communicate this message to third parties if authorised to do so. This email may also contain, or have attached, copyright protected material. If you are not the named recipient, any use, reliance upon this email, copying, disclosure or communication is unauthorised.
Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses. Our liability is limited to resupply any affected attachments.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

> I would love to get in touch with an other schools who are using Ubuntu/Edubuntu and who have recently started using Netbooks. We are looking at two models: Intel Classmate 3 and HP Mini books. Also anyone who is using ubuntu with Promethean IWBs.

We have been looking at netbooks too. Alas, two many Windows apps in the
way before we can throw Windows out. I will only have two terminals as
an Ubuntu trial. Regarding Promethean IWBs...get in touch with
Promethean. They have been promising ActivStudio on Linux for a long time.

The Activstudio replacement, Activsoftware Inspire, purports to have a
version for Linux.

http://www.prometheanplanet.com/server.php?show=nav.16615

Make sure the Promethean knows that you want Activsoftware on Linux and
hope that they make good on their promise and public statement.

"ONE standardized platform across all age-ranges, all interactive
whiteboards, all operating systems (MAC, Windows, Linux)" taken from
http://www.prometheanplanet.com/server.php?show=nav.16615