Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Jeffrey LePage

Default VNC as an alternative to LTSP on laptops?

Greetings,

At our school we have a bunch of old laptops (vintage 1999, PII 400MHz, 256MB RAM). Believe it or not they're still fairly functional. They're running Xubuntu, but with openbox instead of XFCE. With openbox and a few other tweaks I've been able to extend their useful life significantly. However, we really need to get some better hardware, or find a better solution.

I tried to get LTSP running on these machines, but because of the lack of PXE support in pcmcia I was unable to get a decent LTSP setup running.

I was wondering: has anyone used VNC or other remote desktop technologies as an alternative to a full-fledged LTSP setup? If so, does sound work?