Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Jeffrey LePage

Default Obama, education, IT, and Money

Forgive me while I dip into the world of politics.

Some details of the proposed/planned stimulus package are starting to appear in the media. I note 2 tech related bits:
1) improving school infrastructure, _including_ computers
2) free wireless internet

What will happen? Will $billions be shipped off to MS and other large proprietary interests, with little accomplished except the expansion of existing monopolies?* Will Dell and MS carpet-bomb the schools of America with Vista PC's?

Does the open source community have a plan?* Do I need to write my congressmen?

There are numerous articles out there claiming that Obama is friendly to open source, but I'm not convinced.*

See

Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Matt Burkhardt

I've written and sent CD's to Arne Duncan and several other education leaders.* I've also written to my congressman and senators espousing the need for more computers and lower TCO while citing several important unbiased studies conducted by BECTA (British Educational Council on Technology Assessment), the findings in San Diego, Indiana and several other states or private schools that have gone with open source software.

I don't have the deep pockets some of the other software manufacturers have, but I do have some data and a voice!

Forgive me while I dip into the world of politics.

Some details of the proposed/planned stimulus package are starting to appear in the media. I note 2 tech related bits:

1) improving school infrastructure, _including_ computers

2) free wireless internet

What will happen? Will $billions be shipped off to MS and other large proprietary interests, with little accomplished except the expansion of existing monopolies?* Will Dell and MS carpet-bomb the schools of America with Vista PC's?

Does the open source community have a plan?* Do I need to write my congressmen?

There are numerous articles out there claiming that Obama is friendly to open source, but I'm not convinced.*

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM

President

Impari Systems, Inc.

502 Fairview Avenue

Frederick, MD* 21701

mlb@imparisystems.com

www.imparisystems.com

(301) 682-7901

Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM
"Tom Hoffman"

CanDo and SchoolTool will be flying the K-12 open source flag next
week at the Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee's (ICAC)
12th Annual Kickoff Technology Policy Exhibition in DC.
http://netcaucus.org/events/2009/kickoff/

So that's one thing...

--Tom