Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
"Don Davie"

Default Library Management System

Good Morning.
*
I work at a small charter school and we are looking for a library management software solution that can be accessed by multipule users.* We have 15 teachers, 250 cadets and as we are a small campus we do not have the funds for a librarian.* We have a high turn over rate and will go through $10,000 worth of text books per year from teachers not keeping accurate text book or library book inventories.* Does anyone know of a good solution either edubuntu/opensource or MS?* Currently we are running a windows 2000/2003 server environment and i am looking at ways of adding an edubuntu segment.* We have orders from our county office that their networks (and ours) are "Microsoft Products Only".* I have been slowly chiping away at that directive * and have had minor success with adding OpenOffice and a few other open source software titles.*

*
Any input would be appriciated.
*
*
LT. Don E. Davie
*
La Sierra Military Academy
1735 E. Houston Ave.
Visalia, CA 93292
*
559-733-6963 - 264
*

Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
"Simón Ruiz"

Lt. Davie,

We were looking through comparisons of Open Source LMS software not
too long ago because our proprietary LMS is starting to show its age
(and has some painful and inexplicable speed issues) and when we move
to a new one we're hoping to move to something open and easier to
support.

I believe the two we came down to were Evergreen and Koha, and I can't
remember which of the two won our evaluation, but they've already
evolved a bunch since then and we'll need to re-evaluate when we go to
do the actual migration.

Best of luck with your chipping! ;-)

Simón

P.S. http://evergreen-ils.org/ and http://www.koha.org/

P.P.S. http://oss4lib.org/ is a site that aggregates info on a BUNCH
of open source LMS's.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 AM
"David Boateng"

*DV Book Manager seem quite reasonable but you may need to fundraise to*buy this at 30 USD
*
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Information_Management/Book_Collection_Managers/DV_Book_Manager_Download.html

Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Jeffrey LePage

We're in a similar position. We are a small public charter school with an aging proprietary system (Sagebrush Athena). We have a librarian, but only one geek (me) who handles _all_ the IT. We're trying out Koha now. We managed to install it and import MARC records from Athena. Everything seems to be working, but it's a large complicated system, and it's a complicated install. If you want to run zebra (for industrial strength indexing), you have to install a few things from source.

I plan to re-install this weekend. The previous install worked, but there are some nagging issues that I want to resolve. The biggest thing is that the first time we attempted the MARC import the books did not show up on the frontend. However, a quick inspection of the database showed that the books did actually import successfully. The trick seems to be that you need to install, set up the default library, and then import. At this point we have two copies of the same MARC records in the database, but only one copy shows up on the frontend. <sigh/>. As I said I think I'll do a clean re-install.

I'll post the results of the preliminary eval soon. Despite the complicated install, it looks nice. Also, if you don't need zebra, then the install is a lot easier.

********

Another topic: I'm sorry to hear that you've been told "MS products only". This is insane, but I've seen similar things before. As a charter school we have a lot of flexibility, mostly because the local district refuses to give us any meaningful IT support. They can't tell us what to use if they don't pay for it.

Jeff Lepage
Free Horizon Montessori

Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
"David Van Assche"

Koha is an excellent example of working open source software, and it
was used as a model which Moodle and Mahara now follow. It is well
supported and has an active community.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche