Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Jeffrey LePage

Default Open Source alternative to boarddocs.com

Hello all,

My son's school is looking for a online way to handle the paperwork associated with our board meetings.

Our Board of Directors wants an online solution to publish meeting minutes and streamline paperwork while simultaneosly complying with all the various laws and regulations that impact a public charter school.

The board is looking at a proprietary product called www.Boarddocs.com. Minimum price is $1000 setup fee plus $2700/year.

QUESTION: Is there a FOSS product that can do the same thing? Do you think a product like Alfresco would satisfy the requirements?

** See below for more info. **

Background (our school):
----------------------------
We're a public charter school, so we have to deal simultaneously with both sunshine laws and privacy laws, not to mention various miscellaneous regulations originating from the state dept of education and the local school board. We don't get any IT support from the district; we have one guy (me) who does all the computer stuff. We have our own Board of Directors, plus an associated non-profit, plus another organization responsible for leading our parent community.

Background (Boarddocs):
--------------------------
Boarddocs is supposed to
1) help alleviate the enormous task of assembling, printing, distributing and revising agenda items and policies.
2) help process agenda items, supporting documents, policies and procedures
3) control who has access to each document
4) help make last minute revisions, and redistribute your materials

In many respects it sounds a lot like MS Sharepoint or the FOSS project AlFresco (www.alfresco.com).

Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Matt Burkhardt

Absolutely!

Boarddocs is based off of Lotus Notes - a nice package.* Alfresco is a really nice package and may be more than you need.* I would also suggest looking at KnowledgeTree (http://www.knowledgetree.com) which does work flow, security and will do a full text search on your documents or there's a very nice, very simple package called Relay (http://www.ecosmear.com/relay) , but it doesn't do any work flow and the search is limited to file names, but it does allow you to set security based on directories.* There's also another product called Epiware (http://www.epiware.com) which adds in calendaring and tasking to just plain old document management.

Our company can do hosting for one of the above packages at $2k per year.

The only problem you may run into if you are going to have the site hosted is that most of the Java based server hosting firms are more expensive than the regular LAMP hosting services, and you could easily spend almost $2,700 per year just on hosting, but I've seen Apache Tomcat virtual servers for $20 to $70 a month, but haven't used any services.

Hope this helps

[...]

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM

President

Impari Systems, Inc.

502 Fairview Avenue

Frederick, MD* 21701

mlb@imparisystems.com

www.imparisystems.com

(301) 682-7901

Old 11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Neal McBurnett

Interesting discussion - Alfreso looks impressive, if you've got
a sophisticated workflow and need Java expertise. Here is a review
of it along with some others:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/08/41TC-open-source-cms_1.html

And of course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfresco_(software)

Inexpensive Java hosting is an option here:
http://www.webfaction.com/services/
but it isn't clear how tomcat performance is. What sort of memory
footprint does tomcat have?

Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/

Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Neal McBurnett

[Note that you shouldn't respond to the previous messages which went
to "ubuntu-us-co-request" - that's the wrong place.....]

Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Matt Burkhardt

Tomcat can run on as little as a machine with 1GB of memory, but you really need at least 2GB and 4GB is probably better.* Depending on load, you may want to also go with a multiprocessor system.* I've run into memory issues running Alfresco on a 1GB box, so Alfresco can't really work with that.

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM

President

Impari Systems, Inc.

502 Fairview Avenue