Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
"Tony Yarusso"

Default K-12 Open Minds Conference Ubuntu Presence - Interested?

I'd love to go, but unfortunately I can't really manage the financial
aspect myself and my employer said they don't have a travel budget
left for the next few months. So if it starts raining dollars I'd
be happy to help, but if not keep us all posted on how it goes -
sounds interesting!

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/

Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 AM
"Don Davie"

Same boat, Big ideas, Big projects, anemic budget.* My boss told me the only way i was going is on his bicycle....
If it comes around next year, i will attend, I love bringing fresh ideas into our academy and being able to share experiences and get a different perspective.* We only have 300 cadets but we are trying to give them a well rounded education incorporating tech.

*
Don E. Davie
La Sierra Military Academy
Visalia, CA 93292
*

*

Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
"Simn Ruiz"

Right on, guys.

I appreciate the interest, and I completely understand the travel limitations.

I'm lucky enough to be within a couple of hours of the hotel by car;
that and my boss is involved in the planning of it (which helps when
asking for the time off ;-) ).

I'll definitely keep you posted on how things go at this year's
conference. Last year's was really great, so I expect good things.

My guess is Open Minds will be happening again next year. So yeah,
keep an eye on this space and we'll make sure to announce it when we
know more specifics.

Hope you're all doing great!

Simn

Old 09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
"Brett Alton"

I'd like to attend but I'm only a computer technician for a school
board here in Canada.

We are deploying gCompris to all kindergarten students via Ubuntu
which will be a first. But it's baby steps, right?

If it ever comes to Toronto, I'll be able to attend and discuss my
school board's initiatives.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Don Davie <dedavie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same boat, Big ideas, Big projects, anemic budget. My boss told me the only
> way i was going is on his bicycle....
> If it comes around next year, i will attend, I love bringing fresh ideas
> into our academy and being able to share experiences and get a different
> perspective. We only have 300 cadets but we are trying to give them a well
> rounded education incorporating tech.
>
> Don E. Davie
> La Sierra Military Academy
> Visalia, CA 93292
>

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Tony Yarusso <tonyyarusso@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'd love to go, but unfortunately I can't really manage the financial
>> aspect myself and my employer said they don't have a travel budget
>> left for the next few months. So if it starts raining dollars I'd
>> be happy to help, but if not keep us all posted on how it goes -
>> sounds interesting!
>>
>> --
>> Tony Yarusso
>> http://tonyyarusso.com/
>>
>> --

Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton@gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Can you share your School Board initiatives with the list? Ive
managed to get ubuntu and edubuntu in some of my school library's but
no further. Be interesting to see what brought about your situation
and who had the far-sightedness to get it started.

ddh

Quoting Brett Alton <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com>:

> I'd like to attend but I'm only a computer technician for a school
> board here in Canada.
>
> We are deploying gCompris to all kindergarten students via Ubuntu
> which will be a first. But it's baby steps, right?
>
> If it ever comes to Toronto, I'll be able to attend and discuss my
> school board's initiatives.
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Don Davie <dedavie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Same boat, Big ideas, Big projects, anemic budget. My boss told me the only
>> way i was going is on his bicycle....
>> If it comes around next year, i will attend, I love bringing fresh ideas
>> into our academy and being able to share experiences and get a different
>> perspective. We only have 300 cadets but we are trying to give them a well
>> rounded education incorporating tech.
>>
>> Don E. Davie
>> La Sierra Military Academy
>> Visalia, CA 93292
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Tony Yarusso <tonyyarusso@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd love to go, but unfortunately I can't really manage the financial
>>> aspect myself and my employer said they don't have a travel budget
>>> left for the next few months. So if it starts raining dollars I'd
>>> be happy to help, but if not keep us all posted on how it goes -
>>> sounds interesting!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tony Yarusso
>>> http://tonyyarusso.com/
>>>
>>> --

> Brett Alton
> brett.jr.alton@gmail.com
>
> Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!

Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator
Harrisonburg City Public Schools

-- Albert Einstein

Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Matt Burkhardt

FYI - I send out a newsletter each month, and I'm sending stuff to DD Dawson - who's reading it.* Seems there might be some interest!

Can you share your School Board initiatives with the list? Ive
managed to get ubuntu and edubuntu in some of my school library's but
no further. Be interesting to see what brought about your situation
and who had the far-sightedness to get it started.

ddh

Quoting Brett Alton <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com>:

> I'd like to attend but I'm only a computer technician for a school
> board here in Canada.
>
> We are deploying gCompris to all kindergarten students via Ubuntu
> which will be a first. But it's baby steps, right?
>
> If it ever comes to Toronto, I'll be able to attend and discuss my
> school board's initiatives.
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Don Davie <dedavie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Same boat, Big ideas, Big projects, anemic budget. My boss told me the only
>> way i was going is on his bicycle....
>> If it comes around next year, i will attend, I love bringing fresh ideas
>> into our academy and being able to share experiences and get a different
>> perspective. We only have 300 cadets but we are trying to give them a well
>> rounded education incorporating tech.
>>
>> Don E. Davie
>> La Sierra Military Academy
>> Visalia, CA 93292
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Tony Yarusso <tonyyarusso@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd love to go, but unfortunately I can't really manage the financial
>>> aspect myself and my employer said they don't have a travel budget
>>> left for the next few months. So if it starts raining dollars I'd
>>> be happy to help, but if not keep us all posted on how it goes -
>>> sounds interesting!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tony Yarusso
>>> http://tonyyarusso.com/
>>>
>>> --

> Brett Alton
> brett.jr.alton@gmail.com
>
> Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!

Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator
Harrisonburg City Public Schools

-- Albert Einstein

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM

President

Impari Systems, Inc.

401 Rosemont Avenue

Frederick, MD* 21701

mlb@imparisystems.com

www.imparisystems.com

(301) 644-3911

Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
"Brett Alton"

Sure!

In short, I was hired in January as a part-time, temporary technician
- meaning I have a full-time job elsewhere, but they bring me in when
things get hectic - partly because of my repair knowledge but also
partly because of my Linux knowledge (which I found out later).

It turns out the Head of Information Technology had a energy saving
plan in his head involving Linux and only using one computer per
kindergarten classroom (instead of the usual four) and have four
monitors, four keyboards and four mice all hooked up to this one PC.

Thus, the initiative would save money on have four less M$ licenses
per kindergarten classroom, per school AND save electricity because
only once PC is running instead of four.

The PCs will run Ubuntu 7.04 - due to the company who supports the
device that can hook up four monitors, four keyboards and four mice -
with gCompris running as its main application suite.

They've asked me to create the Ubuntu image, so I will let you know
how it goes. More than likely it will have a locked down version of
GNOME and will - possibly - have to communicate to the main server via
AD as per the current Windows PCs.

So from here, we are looking to extend this to other classrooms after
we run the kindergartens as a pilot.

What would really help, of course, is if IBM pushed their K-12 support
from Windows to Linux, as that is who supports use with hardware and
most of our software at the moment.

The pilot will be running next year I believe or maybe next semester,
but like I said, I will keep you all updated.