Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Jeffrey LePage

Default Question about Moodle and/or Wiki Tools for students

Greetings,

I recently installed Moodle for an elementary school. One of the upper-El (grades 4,5,6) teachers wants to do a project with Moodle in a few weeks. It's a geography project: "major bodies of water".

My first thought was using the built-in Wiki module in Moodle. The one problem is that it's difficult for a student to add images to their wiki. There is a workaround, but it's a little difficult.

Is there a better solution? Maybe a different wiki that I can install? What i need is a dead-simple wiki with a wysiwyg interface. It must also support easy adding/editing of images.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Matt Burkhardt

I've installed several different web content management / wikis and I've found that creating pages or a blog using Wordpress seems to be the easiest.Â* There's a plugin that will allow you to authenticate to an external db - that may be what you need...

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/external-database-authentication/

I recently installed Moodle for an elementary school. One of the upper-El (grades 4,5,6) teachers wants to do a project with Moodle in a few weeks. It's a geography project: "major bodies of water".

My first thought was using the built-in Wiki module in Moodle. The one problem is that it's difficult for a student to add images to their wiki. There is a workaround, but it's a little difficult.

Is there a better solution? Maybe a different wiki that I can install? What i need is a dead-simple wiki with a wysiwyg interface. It must also support easy adding/editing of images.

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM

President

Impari Systems, Inc.

401 Rosemont Avenue

Frederick, MDÂ* 21701

mlb@imparisystems.com

www.imparisystems.com

(301) 644-3911

Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 PM
"Simón Ruiz"

We use MoinMoin; it's a standalone installation, though, it doesn't
integrate with Moodle or anything.

I remember it being pretty easy to install earlier this year; I found
a good tutorial online somewhere, but I didn't keep the link...

Within the first period I had kids on it they were posting pictures.

I had to ask them how to do it, myself. ;-)

Simón

Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Jeffrey LePage

How old are your students?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Sean McKay

On 8/19/08 8:49 AM, "Jeffrey LePage" <jeffrey_lepage@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a better solution? Maybe a different wiki that I can install? What
> i need is a dead-simple wiki with a wysiwyg interface. It must also support
> easy adding/editing of images.

Hi Jeff, there are a couple things that I'd suggest, however they might not
be all that popular...First off, as I've said before (not here), the Moodle
wiki is horrid (Martin and the gang know this and are working on it) so you
definitely want to use something else.

After that, I'd ask yourself if you can run it on a hosted solution. If so,
I'd suggest using pbwiki.com as it meets your requirements for dead-simple
and a WYSIWYG interface. Additionally, they have just built into their new
version the ability to have students use the wiki without having to have an
email address to access it.

If hosted is not an option, then in my experience WYSIWYG is off the table
and I've had the best experience using Swiki
(http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/). There are some caveats though for a
successful deployment of Swiki (not many, just a few details to be mindful
of).

Hope that helps!

--Sean