Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Neal McBurnett

Default (Fwd) I converted an elementary school to Linux

I thought folks here (and maybe other ubuntu education-related lists?)
would enjoy this.

You rock, Jeffrey!!

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

----- Forwarded message from Jeffrey LePage <jeffrey_lepage@yahoo.com> -----

To: ubuntu-us-co@lists.ubuntu.com
From: Jeffrey LePage <jeffrey_lepage@yahoo.com>
Subject: [CoLoCo] I converted an elementary school to Linux

...what did you do on _your_ vacation?

Hello all,

I just (mostly) completed converting Free Horizon Montessori in Arvada to Open Source, with emphasis on Ubuntu.

The Win2k3 Server has been replaced by an Ubuntu server running samba, configured as a PDC. All the admin/staff computers are running Hardy Heron and are linked via winbind into the smb PDC. Everything works. The teachers login and their user shares on the server pop up on their desktop. Beautiful. The remaining windoze and mac systems connect just fine. We now have a truly cross-platform system.

Each elementary classroom has two student laptops running ubuntu with the openbox desktop manager. Plus, each upper-EL classroom has 2 Asus Eee PC's, and each Lower-El has one.

I will build the backup system this weekend (ubuntu server running BackupPC). It'll have 3 Seagate 500 GB SATA drives in a RAID5 configuration. very cool.

I gave a training session today for the staff, and everyone _loved_ the new system.

More later.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Neal McBurnett

And some more details, below.

This deserves better publicity than just the Colorado Local Team, and
I figure Jeffrey may get some help here also.