Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
"Simn Ruiz"

Default K12 Open Minds Panel - Schools and LUG's

I'd just like to mention that when I went to this conference last
year, I got a chance to interact with all kinds of great people from
all over the world. We all came to share what our experience of using
Linux in schools has been like, and to learn from each other. We had
people from, I think, Japan, Germany, Canada, Spain, Norway,
Australia, and more. We even had some attendees come from an Indian
(Native American) nation.

I know it's easy for me to say since I'm only 3 hours away from
Indianapolis ;-) but the K-12 Open Minds Conference is definitely a
worth-while trip for anyone working with Free/Open Source Software in
the education field.

These events are a very powerful way to foster the spirit of community
on which projects like Ubuntu depend, giving us a chance to get
together, to get to know each other, and to cross-pollinate ideas.

I'd love to see some fellow Ubunteros there this year! :-D

I hope this finds you all having a beautiful day.

Simn

Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Matt Burkhardt

PS - If you're flying into Indianapolis Airport - rent a car.* The cab fare each way between the hotel and the airport was a whopping $75!* I found out the hard way.....

[...]

Simón

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Vern Ceder <vceder@canterburyschool.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I know that the K12 Open Minds conference in Indianapolis this fall has
> already been announced on this list. (If you missed it, go to
> http://www.k12openminds.org to find out all about it).
>
> I'm looking to put together a panel discussion session on the
> interaction between schools using Linux and Linux Users Groups (and the
> wider FOSS community) - what should happen, what can go wrong, what both
> sides can offer and what they can gain, etc.
>
> If anyone on this list has any desire to be on such a panel or knows of
> someone, either on the school side or the LUG side that would be good
> for this discussion, please let me know off list.
>
> I have to admit right now that I'm not entirely sure of the logistics. I
> believe that panel participants can just attend the panel without
> registering, but attending other sessions and events at the conference
> require registration. And as a community event, we don't have the
> resources to pay for travel, etc, for participants.
>
> Thanks,
> Vern Ceder
>
> --
> This time for sure!
> -Bullwinkle J. Moose

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM

President

Impari Systems, Inc.

401 Rosemont Avenue

Frederick, MD* 21701

mlb@imparisystems.com

www.imparisystems.com

(301) 644-3911

Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
"Tom Hoffman"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Matt Burkhardt <mlb@imparisystems.com> wrote:
> PS - If you're flying into Indianapolis Airport - rent a car. The cab fare
> each way between the hotel and the airport was a whopping $75! I found out
> the hard way.....

The conference is downtown this year... what impact that has on cab
fare I don't know.

--Tom

Old 08-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Vern Ceder

From the Indy Airport website - this may beat renting a car or taking a
cab...

> DOWNTOWN / AIRPORT SERVICE
>
> — IndyGo's Green Line Downtown / Airport Express route provides
> non-stop service from the airport to convenient locations near major
> downtown hotels and the Indiana Convention Center. Green Line service
> runs daily from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Cost is $7 per trip.

Cheers,
Vern

--
This time for sure!
-Bullwinkle J. Moose

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Vern Ceder

Actually the new location for Open Minds in downtown Indy means that $75
cab rides should not be a problem. Typical costs for transport from
the airport to downtown Indy are:

* $1.50 Public Transportation via IndyGo. Route 8 (via Washington
St.) offers airport to downtown service.
* $7 GreenLine Airport Downtown Express Shuttle via IndyGo
* $11 Share-A-Ride Limousine (Carey Indiana)
* $25 Taxi (average; range is $18-$25)

Cheers,
Vern Ceder

--
This time for sure!
-Bullwinkle J. Moose

Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Knut Yrvin

On Thursday 7. August 2008, Vern Ceder wrote:
> If anyone on this list has any desire to be on such a panel or knows of
> someone, either on the school side or the LUG side that would be good
> for this discussion, please let me know off list.

Hi Vern,

I'm interested in participated in such panel, as I did last year at this
excellent US conference on free software in education.

I'm also suggested a talk on free software for education on embedded and
mobile phones at the Call for Speakers section. Being at a early stage
opening up phones for Free Software, we seeing an growing interest using
such devices with Free Software for educational purposes.

Oh, I'm contribute on my spare time to the Skolelinux / Debian Edu project
and work as the Open Source Community Manager for Trolltech, a Nokia
Company.

Best regards

Knut Yrvin
--