Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Luke Yelavich

Default Killing festival from main.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Martin Pitt

Hi Luke,

Luke Yelavich [2007-11-27 20:15 +1100]:
> I still need to check all packages in main that recommend/depend on
> it, but at a glance, I think we can safely get rid of it.

I can be of some help here. There are no reverse dependencies in main
any more. For universe:

-- hardy/universe build deps on festival:
creox
liquidsoap
xastir
-- hardy/universe i386 deps on festival:
festival-czech
festival-freebsoft-utils
festival-hi
festival-mr
festival-te
festlex-cmu
festlex-ifd
festlex-poslex
festvox-czech-ph
festvox-kallpc16k
festvox-kallpc8k
festvox-kdlpc16k
festvox-kdlpc8k
festvox-suopuhe-lj
festvox-suopuhe-mv
lsr
pidgin-festival
-- hardy/universe build deps on festival-dev:
lmms
speech-dispatcher
xastir
-- hardy/multiverse i386 deps on festival:
festlex-oald
festvox-don
festvox-ellpc11k
festvox-rablpc16k
festvox-rablpc8k

Pitti
--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Matt Zimmerman

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 08:15:32PM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Greetings all
> As I do the rounds of merging accessibility related packages such as speech synthesizers, I notice that we still have festival in main. Since we decided to go to espeak several releases ago, we've still kept festival around for a while.
>
> I'd like to get people's thoughts as to whether we should demote all festival packages to universe, and focus on using espeak as the speech synthesizer of choice. I know we don't ship festival on the disks any more (as far as I know without checking seeds), and if we do, it is a lot of disk space saved, due to the size of the voices.
>
> Festival also supports only a small number of languages, compared to what espeak supports, and, espeak's languages can be added relatively easily, compared to what is required to develope a voice for Festival.
>
> I still need to check all packages in main that recommend/depend on it, but at a glance, I think we can safely get rid of it.
>
> Thoughts and opinions welcome.

This is only in main because it's explicitly seeded, though this does mean
that it wastes space on the DVD.

I went ahead and removed it from the Hardy seeds, so it should be able to
pass out of main during regular archive maintenance.

--
- mdz