FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Matt Zimmerman
 
Default unrar-free

I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
ubuntu-devel-discuss recently. It takes up a trivial amount of space and
(judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.

Thoughts?

--
- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
shadowkernel
 
Default unrar-free

I prefer to use the non-free version, because it supports better.
However, some people like rms may use free software only. I recommend
include it.

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
> ubuntu-devel-discuss recently. It takes up a trivial amount of space and
> (judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
> include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Jani Monoses
 
Default unrar-free

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
> ubuntu-devel-discuss recently. It takes up a trivial amount of space and
> (judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
> include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.

It does not support newer rar files and I am not sure how common those are.
"
Description: Unarchiver for .rar files
Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. Can't handle some archives in
the RAR 3.0 format, only the non-free "unrar" package can do that.
"

Right now file-roller only execs unrar which is provided by the unrar
package, as opposed to the unrar-free executable. I am not sure if this
is debian/ubuntu specific naming though.

Jani


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
"Rafael Proença"
 
Default unrar-free

Seems that the stock File-roller, like Ark (default in Kubuntu, I suppose), tries to use the binary named 'unrar' in order to uncompress the files. The unrar-free package provides the binary 'unrar-free'.


If the unrar-free and unrar provides the same functionalities I would suggest to rename the unrar-free binary to unrar and makes it conflict with the unrar package, so the system would have only one at the same time.


But yes, RAR by default would be great if it is in fact completely free.


On Feb 11, 2008 10:07 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> wrote:

I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
ubuntu-devel-discuss recently. *It takes up a trivial amount of space and

(judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.

Thoughts?

--
*- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list

ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel



--
Rafael Proença
https://launchpad.net/~cypherbios
http://www.cypherbios.org/blog

http://www.ubuntu-br.org
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Michael Bienia
 
Default unrar-free

On 2008-02-11 14:43:37 +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
> > ubuntu-devel-discuss recently. It takes up a trivial amount of space and
> > (judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
> > include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.
>
> It does not support newer rar files and I am not sure how common those are.
> "
> Description: Unarchiver for .rar files
> Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. Can't handle some archives in
> the RAR 3.0 format, only the non-free "unrar" package can do that.
> "

Citing Steinar H. Gunderson from the unrar-free/unrar-nonfree discussion
on the debian-devel ML in May 2005:

,----[ http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg01029.html ]-
| On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:55:08PM +0200, Rudi Effe wrote:
| > the unfree packages have been renamed to unrar-nonfree. the unrar
| > package in main is free - but does not support some current rar
| > features.
|
| "Some current rar features" is an understatement -- it doesn't support RAR
| 3.x archives at all (close to nobody makes new RAR 2.x archives nowadays).
`----

Following from homepage of unrar [0] to the homepage of unrarlib [1] it
doesn't suggest that the situation has improved:
,----[ http://www.unrarlib.org/ ]-
| Please note: further development of unrarlib has been stopped. The
| current version is stable but supports only old RAR2 archives.
| If you need to read RAR3 archives, please use the WinRAR or the
| original unrar source code. Java developers may have a look at Erik
| Larssons work.
|
| Christian Scheurer, 2007-10-23
`----

0: https://gna.org/projects/unrar/
1: http://www.unrarlib.org/

Michael

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
"Vadim Peretokin"
 
Default unrar-free

I didn't even know unrar-free existed.

It would be really nice if file-roller told you what package do you need to get if it couldn't uncompress something too.

On Feb 11, 2008 7:44 AM, Rafael Proença <cypherbios@ubuntu.com> wrote:

Seems that the stock File-roller, like Ark (default in Kubuntu, I suppose), tries to use the binary named 'unrar' in order to uncompress the files. The unrar-free package provides the binary 'unrar-free'.



If the unrar-free and unrar provides the same functionalities I would suggest to rename the unrar-free binary to unrar and makes it conflict with the unrar package, so the system would have only one at the same time.



But yes, RAR by default would be great if it is in fact completely free.


On Feb 11, 2008 10:07 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> wrote:


I didn't know about unrar-free until it was mentioned on
ubuntu-devel-discuss recently. *It takes up a trivial amount of space and


(judging by some of the how-tos I see out there) would be appropriate to
include by default, assuming file-roller knows how to use it.

Thoughts?

--
*- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list


ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel




--
Rafael Proença
https://launchpad.net/~cypherbios
http://www.cypherbios.org/blog


http://www.ubuntu-br.org

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel




--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Matt Zimmerman
 
Default unrar-free

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:20:31PM +0800, shadowkernel wrote:
> I prefer to use the non-free version, because it supports better.
> However, some people like rms may use free software only. I recommend
> include it.

Regardless of what those people think, we have a clear and consistent policy
for licensing in Ubuntu, which is one of the founding documents of the
project:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing

It explains that by default, Ubuntu, with one exception (drivers), includes
only software which is free (according to our guidelines).

--
- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Matt Zimmerman
 
Default unrar-free

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 02:49:59PM +0100, Michael Bienia wrote:
> On 2008-02-11 14:43:37 +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > It does not support newer rar files and I am not sure how common those are.
> > "
> > Description: Unarchiver for .rar files
> > Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. Can't handle some archives in
> > the RAR 3.0 format, only the non-free "unrar" package can do that.
> > "
>
> Citing Steinar H. Gunderson from the unrar-free/unrar-nonfree discussion
> on the debian-devel ML in May 2005:
>
> ,----[ http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg01029.html ]-
> | On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:55:08PM +0200, Rudi Effe wrote:
> | > the unfree packages have been renamed to unrar-nonfree. the unrar
> | > package in main is free - but does not support some current rar
> | > features.
> |
> | "Some current rar features" is an understatement -- it doesn't support RAR
> | 3.x archives at all (close to nobody makes new RAR 2.x archives nowadays).
> `----
>
> Following from homepage of unrar [0] to the homepage of unrarlib [1] it
> doesn't suggest that the situation has improved:
> ,----[ http://www.unrarlib.org/ ]-
> | Please note: further development of unrarlib has been stopped. The
> | current version is stable but supports only old RAR2 archives.
> | If you need to read RAR3 archives, please use the WinRAR or the
> | original unrar source code. Java developers may have a look at Erik
> | Larssons work.
> |
> | Christian Scheurer, 2007-10-23
> `----

That's unfortunate. It seems it isn't very promising as an alternative, and
we wouldn't want to promote a dead project.

Thanks for this detail.

--
- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Thilo Six
 
Default unrar-free

Matt Zimmerman wrote the following on 11.02.2008 15:37

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:20:31PM +0800, shadowkernel wrote:
>> I prefer to use the non-free version, because it supports better.
>> However, some people like rms may use free software only. I recommend
>> include it.
>
> Regardless of what those people think, we have a clear and consistent policy
> for licensing in Ubuntu, which is one of the founding documents of the
> project:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing
>
> It explains that by default, Ubuntu, with one exception (drivers), includes
> only software which is free (according to our guidelines).

$ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep "extract RAR"
p7zip-rar provides a module for p7zip-full to make 7z able to extract RAR

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/p/p7zip-rar/p7zip-rar_4.55~ds.1-2/p7zip-rar.copyright
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/p/p7zip/p7zip_4.57~dfsg.1-1/p7zip-full.copyright

$ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep Size:
Uncompressed Size: 160k
Compressed Size: 48.5k
$ aptitude show p7zip-full | grep Size:
Uncompressed Size: 3076k
Compressed Size: 1180k


if i understand correctly p7zip could be shipped instead?

The binary naming problem still exists.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Matt Zimmerman
 
Default unrar-free

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:53:14PM +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> $ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep "extract RAR"
> p7zip-rar provides a module for p7zip-full to make 7z able to extract RAR
>
> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/p/p7zip-rar/p7zip-rar_4.55~ds.1-2/p7zip-rar.copyright
> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/p/p7zip/p7zip_4.57~dfsg.1-1/p7zip-full.copyright
>
> $ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep Size:
> Uncompressed Size: 160k
> Compressed Size: 48.5k
> $ aptitude show p7zip-full | grep Size:
> Uncompressed Size: 3076k
> Compressed Size: 1180k
>
>
> if i understand correctly p7zip could be shipped instead?

Interesting. Does it support modern archives, like unrar-free doesn't?

--
- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org