Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Thilo Six

Default unrar-free

Matt Zimmerman wrote the following on 12.02.2008 20:06

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:53:14PM +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
>> $ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep "extract RAR"
>> p7zip-rar provides a module for p7zip-full to make 7z able to extract RAR
>>
>> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/p/p7zip-rar/p7zip-rar_4.55~ds.1-2/p7zip-rar.copyright
>> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/p/p7zip/p7zip_4.57~dfsg.1-1/p7zip-full.copyright
>>
>> $ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep Size:
>> Uncompressed Size: 160k
>> Compressed Size: 48.5k
>> $ aptitude show p7zip-full | grep Size:
>> Uncompressed Size: 3076k
>> Compressed Size: 1180k
>>

>> if i understand correctly p7zip could be shipped instead?
>
> Interesting. Does it support modern archives, like unrar-free doesn't?

hmm well:
http://www.7-zip.org/
<---------------------------------------------
Supported formats:
Unpacking only:
RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
--------------------------------------------->

so it seems 7zip lacks support for creating new rar archives, but if i get
that right, unrar-free also lacks that support:

http://home.gna.org/unrar/

also interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z:
<-------------------------------------------------
Full support

These programs support both the creation of and adding files to 7z archives,
not just reading files in them.

[edit] Linux

* Peazip
* File Roller
* Ark (GPL) (acts as a wrapper around p7zip)
* p7zip (GPL)
* Karchiver (GPL)
------------------------------------------------->

last but not least:

$ aptitude show p7zip-full | egrep -A 3 -w /usr/bin/7z
* /usr/bin/7z
not only does it handle 7z but also ZIP, Zip64, CAB, RAR, ARJ,
GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM, ISO and DEB archives. 7z compression
is 30-50% better than ZIP compression.

so with 7zip you get a lot more then "only" rar support.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Jan Claeys

Op dinsdag 12-02-2008 om 19:06 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Matt
Zimmerman:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:53:14PM +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> > http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/p/p7zip-rar/p7zip-rar_4.55~ds.1-2/p7zip-rar.copyright
[...]
> Interesting. Does it support modern archives, like unrar-free
> doesn't?

AFAIK p7zip-rar uses the "official" non-free (un)rar library; which also
is the reason why it's in 'multiverse', I guess...

--
Jan Claeys