Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Thomas Novin

Default Vinagre is confusing

Hello

Today on Application > Internet I've got Remote Desktop Viewer and
Terminal Server Client (on Hardy).

As a user that knows he's is using Remote Desktop Protocol to connect to
his Windows server, what do you think he will choose? I think the user
will launch Remote Desktop Viewer/Vinagre and fail to connect to his RDP
server. I think this should be renamed to avoid confusion.

Why is this new VNC client added in the first place? Why not work with
Terminal Server Client instead?

Rgds

Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

I'm guessing because VNC is kind of standard.

Today on Application > Internet I've got Remote Desktop Viewer and
Terminal Server Client (on Hardy).

As a user that knows he's is using Remote Desktop Protocol to connect to
his Windows server, what do you think he will choose? I think the user

will launch Remote Desktop Viewer/Vinagre and fail to connect to his RDP
server. I think this should be renamed to avoid confusion.

Why is this new VNC client added in the first place? Why not work with
Terminal Server Client instead?

Rgds

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff

apt-get moo

Old 02-10-2008, 07:42 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Feb 9, 2008 12:02 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing because VNC is kind of standard.

He's indicating that the name is confusing. The standard for
connecting to Windows systems is Terminal Server Client. Of course,
the expansion of VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is even more
confusing.

I'm not sure what the solution is other than to perhaps indicate in
parenthesis what each is for.

Remote Desktop Viewer (VNC Client)
Terminal Server Client (Microsoft Windows RDC)

--
Chris

Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Dean Sas

Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> He's indicating that the name is confusing.
>
> I'm not sure what the solution is other than to perhaps indicate in
> parenthesis what each is for.
>
> Remote Desktop Viewer (VNC Client)
> Terminal Server Client (Microsoft Windows RDC)

Terminal Server Client does VNC as well as RDP.

I'd speculate that the addition of vinagre happened because a) it's
happening upstream and b) tsclient has (as far as I'm aware) been pretty
much unmaintained for a while.

It's intended for vinagre to support all of the protocols that tsclient
does.

Dean