FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 PM
"Vadim Peretokin"
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

Mine is a ThinkPad T40. 1.5Ghz CPU, ATI Radeon 7500 (32mb ram, open-source "radeon" driver). I am using Miro's repository, so it is the latest version.

That said, I think it would be great if we advertised it on the website (those screenshots could use some updating too, btw).


On Feb 9, 2008 12:54 PM, Conrad Knauer <atheoi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 9, 2008 4:29 AM, Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia@di.unipi.it> wrote:

> I personally love miro but can't still recommend it to my friends since

> it really crashes a lot on ubuntu. Including such an application on the
> default cd would,in my opinion, be not-so-good publicity for ubuntu.

Out of curiosity, what version are you using? (0.9.8 from gutsy or the

current 1.1.2 from Miro's repository) *Other people mentioned that its
a bit of a resource hog (Vadim Peretokin wrote: "it was barely working
on my 1.5Ghz, 512ram laptop") what kind of system do you have?


And, generally speaking, what's the 'average computer' Ubuntu is
targeting? *The System Requirements listed on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements must

be below what most people use Ubuntu on...

CK

--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss



--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Evan
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

I don't know about the average computer, but it probably varies quite a bit. I'm typing this on a P3 1Ghz with 256MB of ram. Ubuntu runs moderately slowly but easily survivable. Xubuntu runs decently. I'm a bit of a speed freak though, so I installed the core bits from the alternate cd and built a custom fluxbox setup from there. I'd say that this is about the lowest-end pc you'll find normal Ubuntu installed on though.




Just my 2 cents


On 2/9/08, Conrad Knauer <atheoi@gmail.com> wrote:
On Feb 9, 2008 4:29 AM, Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia@di.unipi.it> wrote:

> I personally love miro but can't still recommend it to my friends since
> it really crashes a lot on ubuntu. Including such an application on the

> default cd would,in my opinion, be not-so-good publicity for ubuntu.


Out of curiosity, what version are you using? (0.9.8 from gutsy or the
current 1.1.2 from Miro's repository)**Other people mentioned that its

a bit of a resource hog (Vadim Peretokin wrote: "it was barely working
on my 1.5Ghz, 512ram laptop") what kind of system do you have?

And, generally speaking, what's the 'average computer' Ubuntu is

targeting?**The System Requirements listed on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements must
be below what most people use Ubuntu on...



CK


--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss



--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 PM
"Conrad Knauer"
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

On Feb 9, 2008 12:09 PM, Evan <eapache@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about the average computer, but it probably varies quite a bit.
> I'm typing this on a P3 1Ghz with 256MB of ram. Ubuntu runs moderately
> slowly but easily survivable. Xubuntu runs decently. I'm a bit of a speed
> freak though, so I installed the core bits from the alternate cd and built a
> custom fluxbox setup from there. I'd say that this is about the lowest-end
> pc you'll find normal Ubuntu installed on though.

<grin> Actually, I set up a computer for my daughter (age 3 that's
a 500 MHz Celeron that I maxed out to 256 MB RAM and it runs vanilla
Ubuntu pretty well for her purposes (playing music, tux paint, viewing
images, etc.) Probably wouldn't run Miro very well though O

CK

--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Greg K Nicholson
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 13:09 -0500, Evan wrote:
> I'm typing this on a P3 1Ghz with 256MB of ram. Ubuntu runs moderately
> slowly but easily survivable.
...
> I'd say that this is about the lowest-end pc you'll find normal Ubuntu
> installed on though.

1 GHz? Luxury! I run Ubuntu on a ~700-MHz Athlon, albeit with 376.5 MB
of memory.

Miro doesn't work, but I think that's the dodgy Nvidia driver (the
open-source one) rather than the slow processor.



--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Evan
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

700Mhz, 500Mhz? OK, I cede! Apparently my 10-year old desktop is one of the faster computers around :P It does look like 256MB ram is the lowest you'll see running vanilla Ubuntu though. My setup only takes 50MB on a fresh boot, but I know that vanilla Ubuntu takes around 150MB, so including Miro would significantly boost the system requirements.



Just for kicks, I downloaded and installed the latest version from the miro repos (1.1.2). Upon running, it crashed because I don't have firefox installed (opera is faster). I'll install firefox and get back on how well it works, but this is something that should be fixed in the packaging: miro depends on firefox.



On 2/9/08, Greg K Nicholson <greg@gkn.me.uk> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 13:09 -0500, Evan wrote:
> I'm typing this on a P3 1Ghz with 256MB of ram. Ubuntu runs moderately
> slowly but easily survivable.

...

> I'd say that this is about the lowest-end pc you'll find normal Ubuntu

> installed on though.


1 GHz? Luxury! I run Ubuntu on a ~700-MHz Athlon, albeit with 376.5 MB
of memory.

Miro doesn't work, but I think that's the dodgy Nvidia driver (the
open-source one) rather than the slow processor.





--

Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss



--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

I've done it on 192MB.* It wasn't pretty (mostly because the open source ATI drivers are the only thing that supports the Rage II, and only at 800x600 when the card can do up to 102x768....seriously, Ubuntu was *not* meant for 800x600 systems), but it was functional.* That one's around 300MHz, I think.* It's a Pentium 2.


On Feb 9, 2008 3:31 PM, Evan <eapache@gmail.com> wrote:

700Mhz, 500Mhz? OK, I cede! Apparently my 10-year old desktop is one of the faster computers around :P It does look like 256MB ram is the lowest you'll see running vanilla Ubuntu though. My setup only takes 50MB on a fresh boot, but I know that vanilla Ubuntu takes around 150MB, so including Miro would significantly boost the system requirements.




Just for kicks, I downloaded and installed the latest version from the miro repos (1.1.2). Upon running, it crashed because I don't have firefox installed (opera is faster). I'll install firefox and get back on how well it works, but this is something that should be fixed in the packaging: miro depends on firefox.




On 2/9/08, Greg K Nicholson <greg@gkn.me.uk> wrote:


On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 13:09 -0500, Evan wrote:
> I'm typing this on a P3 1Ghz with 256MB of ram. Ubuntu runs moderately
> slowly but easily survivable.

...

> I'd say that this is about the lowest-end pc you'll find normal Ubuntu


> installed on though.


1 GHz? Luxury! I run Ubuntu on a ~700-MHz Athlon, albeit with 376.5 MB
of memory.

Miro doesn't work, but I think that's the dodgy Nvidia driver (the
open-source one) rather than the slow processor.






--

Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss





--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss




--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff

apt-get moo
--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Evan
 
Default Miro ( New Programs for Hardy?)

Miro starts up with about 35MB of ram, and maxes out around 100MB, but only after downloading and watching a lot of stuff, and browsing many channels. When it starts for the first time, and you point it to any videos you already have on disk, it generates thumbnails for every one. This process is extremely slow (about 10 seconds of 100% cpu for one thumbnail on my PC) and kicks ram usage up a good 50MB, but once all the thumbnails have been generated, miro is actually quite snappy, and i haven't had any real problems with it.




After getting it set up, it doesn't use any more resources than Firefox, so it wouldn't really raise the system requirements, however it uses a ton of bandwith, and is fairly large. My thought is to include it in the main repo, but not on the CD.




--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org