Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Stefan Potyra

Default New: nvidia-settings 1.0+20071221-0ubuntu1 (source)

Hi,

Am Samstag 09 Februar 2008 00:05:15 schrieb Ubuntu Installer:
> NEW: nvidia-settings_1.0+20071221.orig.tar.gz
> NEW: nvidia-settings_1.0+20071221-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
> NEW: nvidia-settings_1.0+20071221-0ubuntu1.dsc

just to avoid some confusion, as nvidia-settings was removed today from the
archive:

In short: nvidia-settings contains the headers and the static library needed
to get NVIDIA support in sensors-applets (cf. LP: #59945).

Lengthy explanation:
* implicit demotion:
the former nvidia-settings lived in restricted, the new one should imo go to
universe:
Doing a copyright check, I didn't find anything in there which didn't fall
under GPL-2 or a BSD-like license.

* nvidia-settings, executable:
The executable nvidia-settings binary comes from linux-restricted-modules-*,
hence I've disabled building a nvidia-settings package to avoid conflicts.
The rationale to provide nvidia-settings from l-r-m is, that it thus will
always be aligned with the kernel module.

* Why is nvidia-settings still needed?
Coming from different upstream sources (driver installer vs. nvidia-settings),
the installer sources doesn't include the static library and it doesn't
include the necessary header files to build packages against it.
The candidate I know of, is sensors-applet, which could make use of the
library/headers to display GPU temperatures.

* no shared library:
So far, I've only come to investigating a few nvidia-settings releases.
Looking at the diffs is promising, but I can't guarantee that there
aren't/won't be any ABI changes, hence nvidia-settings ships only the static
library + headers.

Cheers,
Stefan.