Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default Security/support status of packages

On Friday 08 February 2008 03:47, Martin Pitt wrote:

> I saw a lot of complaints from users who installed some universe
> packages like clamav and were absolutely surprised (and furious) when
> they got to know that these had a ton of unfixed vulns.

This one is actually a poor example (I know there are plenty of other good
ones). Clamav is particularly problematic (even if it were in Main) because
freshclam logs scary warnings when users are not running the current upstream
version. Our Feisty and Gutsy clamav packages are fully patched for all the
known security issues, but still we get complaints.

Scott K

Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Colin Watson

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:49:55AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Michael Vogt [2008-02-06 21:10 +0100]:
> > As a solution that can be implemented for hardy we discussed a new
> > view in synaptic that would allow sorting package by their support
> > status. This would allow the user to more easily find packages
> > installed but not in main. I was considering just putting it under the
> > "Status" view in synaptic and adding a new emblem to add/remove
> > (gnome-app-install) that tells about the support timeframe. What do
> > you think?
>
> I'd also appreciate a list of currently installed unsupported
> packages. Such a list is surprisingly hard to create (and impossible
> for a nontechnical user).

grep-status -nsPackage -eFSection 'universe|multiverse' -a -FStatus ' installed' | sort

... but I take your point that this is not entirely user-friendly!

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Martin Pitt

Colin Watson [2008-02-08 15:09 +0000]:
> grep-status -nsPackage -eFSection 'universe|multiverse' -a -FStatus ' installed' | sort

Thanks for that hint. That seems to be buggy, though, it only prints
out 'nspluginwrapper' for me. I have two tons of other universe
packages installed.

> ... but I take your point that this is not entirely user-friendly!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Matt Zimmerman

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:43:20PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Colin Watson [2008-02-08 15:09 +0000]:
> > grep-status -nsPackage -eFSection 'universe|multiverse' -a -FStatus ' installed' | sort
>
> Thanks for that hint. That seems to be buggy, though, it only prints
> out 'nspluginwrapper' for me. I have two tons of other universe
> packages installed.

Right, I don't think the component is necessarily included in the section in
/var/lib/dpkg/status. If nothing else, we move packages between components
without rebuilding them.

--
- mdz

Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Michael Vogt

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:49:55AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Vogt [2008-02-06 21:10 +0100]:
> > As a solution that can be implemented for hardy we discussed a new
> > view in synaptic that would allow sorting package by their support
> > status. This would allow the user to more easily find packages
> > installed but not in main. I was considering just putting it under the
> > "Status" view in synaptic and adding a new emblem to add/remove
> > (gnome-app-install) that tells about the support timeframe. What do
> > you think?
>
> I'd also appreciate a list of currently installed unsupported
> packages. Such a list is surprisingly hard to create (and impossible
> for a nontechnical user).

To see the list of installed package in universe, start synaptic,
click on the "origin" button and then click on the "S" column to sort
by status. That will give you the installed packages from universe.

Its hard to discover, especially for people not using synaptic that
much. And it does not know about the support status for LTS packages,
it can't tell between "server" and "desktop" and "regular main" for
example.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Tollef Fog Heen

* Martin Pitt

| Colin Watson [2008-02-08 15:09 +0000]:
| > grep-status -nsPackage -eFSection 'universe|multiverse' -a -FStatus ' installed' | sort
|
| Thanks for that hint. That seems to be buggy, though, it only prints
| out 'nspluginwrapper' for me. I have two tons of other universe
| packages installed.

You probably rather want aptitude search '~i~s.*verse'. Still not
very discoverable, though.

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Michael Vogt

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:49:55AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Vogt [2008-02-06 21:10 +0100]:
> > As a solution that can be implemented for hardy we discussed a new
> > view in synaptic that would allow sorting package by their support
> > status. This would allow the user to more easily find packages
> > installed but not in main. I was considering just putting it under the
> > "Status" view in synaptic and adding a new emblem to add/remove
> > (gnome-app-install) that tells about the support timeframe. What do
> > you think?
>
> I'd also appreciate a list of currently installed unsupported
> packages. Such a list is surprisingly hard to create (and impossible
> for a nontechnical user).

I added a default filter to synaptic that shows all installed but
community supported packages. Its under the "Custom filters"
button. This way it should be much easier discoverable what packages
are installed that are not supported by canonical.

I currently named it: "Community Supported (installed)" but I'm not
100% happy. Does anyone have better suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael