Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM
"Piotr Zaryk"

Default BROTHER drivers in Ubuntu

Hello,

Would it be difficult to include drivers for Brother printers and scanners? They are quite common and users have problems with them. If not by default in Ubuntu install, why not to include them in the universe repository?

user requests on launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/25966
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/16704

howto on ubuntuforums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793&highlight=brother+scanner+ howto

Zaryk

Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

Why does it require tcsh?* Everything there looks like it'd work on bash too.

What was the reason behind the decision to include HP drivers and an HP control panel but not other printer driver?* Brother's website says the CUPS drivers are GPL.

Would it be difficult to include drivers for Brother printers and scanners? They are quite common and users have problems with them. If not by default in Ubuntu install, why not to include them in the universe repository?

user requests on launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/25966
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/16704

howto on ubuntuforums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793&highlight=brother+scanner+ howto

Zaryk

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff

apt-get moo

Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Kevin Fries

OOPS! Accidentally sent to OP instead of group.

Trying again

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 08:48 +0100, Piotr Zaryk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it be difficult to include drivers for Brother printers and
> scanners? They are quite common and users have problems with them. If
> not by default in Ubuntu install, why not to include them in the
> universe repository?
>

> user requests on launchpad:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/25966
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/16704
>
> howto on ubuntuforums:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793&amp;highlight=brother
> +scanner+howto

WOW, that howto sucks!

I use two Brother Laser printers: HL-2070N (black and white laser); and
HL-4040CN (color laser). Both work PERFECT in ubuntu. Combined they
took me under 5 minutes to set up.

But, I got my drivers direct from Brother. They have fantastic Linux
support. Just go to:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html#de

If anything, just work with Brother to move their drivers into an APT
repository so that upgrades can be automatically installed. That would
be a far better solution than Ubuntu taking this problem on.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer