Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
"Cory K."

Default "Make sense" keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor?

Ubuntu Studio has decided to add a keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor.

Most windows users see this as a equivalent to Ctrl+Alt+Del. That is of
course already mapped and launches the logout dialog. So we decided to
use the keys KDE uses to launch their monitor. Ctrl+Esc. This works out
great in metacity but not so well in Compiz as both Ctrl and Esc are
"special" keys and cannot be used this way.

From #compiz-fusion-dev: "maniac103: Escape == Cancel and Return ==
Commit (regardless of the modifiers) and cannot be used together"

So I'm asking what would possibly be a "make sense" keymap to use across
both Metacity and Compiz to use for gnome-system-monitor?

-Cory m/

Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

Can super+escape work?* I thought Compiz only freaked out if the key combo was already in use, but using the modifiers otherwise didn't matter.

Ubuntu Studio has decided to add a keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor.

Most windows users see this as a equivalent to Ctrl+Alt+Del. That is of

course already mapped and launches the logout dialog. So we decided to
use the keys KDE uses to launch their monitor. Ctrl+Esc. This works out
great in metacity but not so well in Compiz as both Ctrl and Esc are

"special" keys and cannot be used this way.

From #compiz-fusion-dev: "maniac103: Escape == Cancel and Return ==
Commit (regardless of the modifiers) and cannot be used together"

So I'm asking what would possibly be a "make sense" keymap to use across

both Metacity and Compiz to use for gnome-system-monitor?

-Cory m/

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff

apt-get moo

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
"Cory K."

Cory K. wrote:
> Ubuntu Studio has decided to add a keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor.
>
> Most windows users see this as a equivalent to Ctrl+Alt+Del. That is of
> course already mapped and launches the logout dialog. So we decided to
> use the keys KDE uses to launch their monitor. Ctrl+Esc. This works out
> great in metacity but not so well in Compiz as both Ctrl and Esc are
> "special" keys and cannot be used this way.
>
> >From #compiz-fusion-dev: "maniac103: Escape == Cancel and Return ==
> Commit (regardless of the modifiers) and cannot be used together"
>
> So I'm asking what would possibly be a "make sense" keymap to use across
> both Metacity and Compiz to use for gnome-system-monitor?
>
> -Cory m/

Nothing? I also should say I need tested combinations that work not
guessed examples.

-Cory m/

Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Evan

I'm sure this debate has gone on before, but I'm in favour of stopping Ctrl-Alt-Backspace from killing X because new users can press this by accident. That combo would work if it was freed from its present duty.

Evan

Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 14:49:57 Evan wrote:
> I'm sure this debate has gone on before, but I'm in favour of stopping
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace from killing X because new users can press this by
> accident. That combo would work if it was freed from its present duty.
>
> Evan

What key map would you replace kill x with?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Lars Wirzenius

On ke, 2008-02-06 at 15:49 -0500, Evan wrote:
> I'm sure this debate has gone on before, but I'm in favour of stopping
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace from killing X because new users can press this by
> accident. That combo would work if it was freed from its present duty.

Er, would that not be a colossally bad idea, for people who want to
launch gnome-system-monitor on a system that is configured in the usual
way, and end up killing X instead? Using such a keystroke for something
completely different between systems is going to be somewhat annoying to
a number of people, I predict.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Evan

The original argument about this went something like:

- Killing X is dangerous, and unknown to users from other OSes. People hitting it by accident (trying to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, for example), can cause damage to their systems etc.

- But somethimes it's the only way to get rid of a crashed full-screen app

- We really ought to have a way to kill a single app, rather than the full X server.

It was never really resolved satisfactorily, but if we want to bring it up again, it would be best in a separate thread. My original point was that if, and only if, that problem is resolved in a way that frees up the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace combo, then it would work for launching the system-monitor. That's all.

Evan

Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
"Caroline Ford"

On 07/02/2008, Evan <eapache@gmail.com> wrote:

> The original argument about this went something like:
>

> - Killing X is dangerous, and unknown to users from other OSes. People
> hitting it by accident (trying to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, for example), can
> cause damage to their systems etc.
>
> - But somethimes it's the only way to get rid of a crashed full-screen app
>
> - We really ought to have a way to kill a single app, rather than the full X
> server.
>

> It was never really resolved satisfactorily, but if we want to bring it up
> again, it would be best in a separate thread. My original point was that if,
> and only if, that problem is resolved in a way that frees up the
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace combo, then it would work for launching the
> system-monitor. That's all.

And when people who are used to Ubuntu's key bindings try it on a
different machine?

We should be *really* careful before changing *nix defaults like that..

Caroline

Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

- We really ought to have a way to kill a single app, rather than the full X server

That's what xkill is for.* Hit alt+f2 to get a runbox, then type xkill and your mouse turns into a skull and crossbones.* Click on what you want to kill.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Jan Claeys

Op donderdag 07-02-2008 om 17:18 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Mackenzie
Morgan:
> On Feb 7, 2008 3:46 PM, Evan <eapache@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > - We really ought to have a way to kill a single app, rather than the full
> > X server

> That's what xkill is for. Hit alt+f2 to get a runbox, then type xkill
> and your mouse turns into a skull and crossbones. Click on what you
> want to kill.

There is an "xkill" panel applet too...

--
Jan Claeys