Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 PM
"A. Walton"

Default "Make sense" keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor?

On Feb 8, 2008 1:51 PM, Denis Washington <dwashington@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 13:40 -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
>
> > I don't see any similarity between those two keyboard
> > shortcuts, but
> > that's probably because I don't think as if I live in the US?
> > ;-)
> >
> > American keyboards put `/~ next to the 1, so it's just below Esc
>
> On German layouts, ` is almost immediately next to backspace, so this
> might not be the best idea for a shortcut...

Oh wow, that's pretty nasty. I had no idea the backtick moved around
that much, figured it was a pretty stable key (then again, I don't
have experience with l10n or i18n keyboards.

Maybe one of the function keys then? Beats me.

-A.Walton

Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
"A. Walton"

On Feb 8, 2008 1:30 PM, Lars Wirzenius <lars@canonical.com> wrote:

> On pe, 2008-02-08 at 12:53 -0500, A. Walton wrote:
> > I could see a use, as this is Ubuntu Studio and not Ubuntu; music
> > producers often need to check CPU usage of their software, and avoid
> > pegging the CPU to avoid nasty pops, cracks and hisses caused by
> > hardware hiccups. While some utilities have this built in, some don't,
> > so it's good to keep an eye on CPU usage (and arguably, memory usage
> > as well).
>
> I have in my top panel a system monitor that continuously reports CPU,
> network, and disk activity (these being the three metrics I'm primarily
> interested in). Unobtrusive, and does not require bringing it up
> separately.

Not everyone running a DAW or NLE application runs a panel. If I had
the choice in OS X, I never would have while running FCP, but it's
pretty hard to kill the panel without gimping applications in that OS.

Both situations sound sensible to me. But at the end of the day it's
just a keybinding, and if you can't find one that makes sense, it's
not a huge loss. (my 2c anyway).

-A. Walton

Old 02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Evan

It is only a keybinding, so as long as people can change it, then the default doesn't matter all that much. The only problem with the concept at the moment is that people will expect it to work during full-screen apps like Ctrl-Alt-Delete does in windows. It doesn't at the moment because SDL and openGL apps grab the entire keyboard. This is kind of X.orgs fault for not providing a way to force-hold certain key-combos regardless of who has the keyboard (this would also solve a lot of problems with media keys not working in full-screen apps).

A lot of people will use this to kill crashed apps, but it won't work in fullscreen. Is there any way to resolve this problem short of asking the X.org devs to rewrite their keyboard handling?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
"Jonathan Musther"

Doesn't xorg hold some keybindings?* I thought Ctrl+Alt+Backspace worked to kill X in full screen apps, I'm sure I've used it in games.

One thing we really do need is a way to easily make new keybindings.* The existing gnome keyboard shortcuts GUI is fine, but it doesn't allow you to add them.* What we need to be able to do is specify a keybinding and a command, short of going a mucking about in gconf.* In my opinion as a keyboard junky (and as somebody who has worked extensively with visually impaired computer users), not being able to easily add keyboard shortcuts to gnome is quite a problem.

Anyway, if we had that functionality, people could assign whatever they want to whatever they want, they could have a keybinding for xkill.

It is only a keybinding, so as long as people can change it, then the default doesn't matter all that much. The only problem with the concept at the moment is that people will expect it to work during full-screen apps like Ctrl-Alt-Delete does in windows. It doesn't at the moment because SDL and openGL apps grab the entire keyboard. This is kind of X.orgs fault for not providing a way to force-hold certain key-combos regardless of who has the keyboard (this would also solve a lot of problems with media keys not working in full-screen apps).

A lot of people will use this to kill crashed apps, but it won't work in fullscreen. Is there any way to resolve this problem short of asking the X.org devs to rewrite their keyboard handling?

Slingshot - a unique game everyone enjoys *- and it's free :-)
http://www.slingshot-game.org

Old 02-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Evan

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the only keyboard control that x locks, and it kills x completely. There is no way to kill only the crashed full-screen app. Non-fullscreen apps can be killed with xkill or others, but when an app grabs the entire keyboard and crashes, it's Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or a hard power-off, both of which make you lose unsaved work in other open apps.

Ideally, x would allow window managers to permagrab certain key combos regardless of who has the keyboard. This would allow people to kill apps that grab the whole keyboard without killing everything else. It would also allow media keys (volume, etc.) to work in fullscreen apps, as they currently don't.

I definitely agree with the fact that their should be an ability to add custom keyboard shortcuts through gnome keyboard gui. I'm using fluxbox-keys now, but I remember being annoyed by that when I was still using Gnome.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

For some reason, I think Compiz's "unredirect fullscreen" setting lets Compiz get keyboard combos even while using a fullscreen app.* I don't have it installed here, so I can't try, but I think I could open an xterm while running Battle for Wesnoth.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the only keyboard control that x locks, and it kills x completely. There is no way to kill only the crashed full-screen app. Non-fullscreen apps can be killed with xkill or others, but when an app grabs the entire keyboard and crashes, it's Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or a hard power-off, both of which make you lose unsaved work in other open apps.

Ideally, x would allow window managers to permagrab certain key combos regardless of who has the keyboard. This would allow people to kill apps that grab the whole keyboard without killing everything else. It would also allow media keys (volume, etc.) to work in fullscreen apps, as they currently don't.

I definitely agree with the fact that their should be an ability to add custom keyboard shortcuts througFor h gnome keyboard gui. I'm using fluxbox-keys now, but I remember being annoyed by that when I was still using Gnome.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169

apt-get moo

Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Milan

Cory K. a écrit :
> Ubuntu Studio has decided to add a keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor.
>
> Most windows users see this as a equivalent to Ctrl+Alt+Del. That is of
> course already mapped and launches the logout dialog. So we decided to
> use the keys KDE uses to launch their monitor. Ctrl+Esc. This works out
> great in metacity but not so well in Compiz as both Ctrl and Esc are
> "special" keys and cannot be used this way.
>
> >From #compiz-fusion-dev: "maniac103: Escape == Cancel and Return ==
> Commit (regardless of the modifiers) and cannot be used together"
>
> So I'm asking what would possibly be a "make sense" keymap to use across
> both Metacity and Compiz to use for gnome-system-monitor?

If you're motivated enough and willing to find a lasting shortcut, the
best to do IMHO is to contact freedesktop.org. This shortcut concerns
every desktop environment and should really be the same everywhere, else
people will always forget it when they (occasionally) need it.

This feature is non-intrusive for users that don't know it exists, so
adopting a shortcut (or even just free this precise combination) should
not be a problem. Maybe a solution could be found considering together
issues with compiz/metacity/kwin, X.org and GNOME/KDE/XFCE: add a second
key combination that X.org would always redirect to a command.

I hope you do so... ;-)