Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
"Cory K."

Default "Make sense" keymap to launch gnome-system-monitor?

Ok. As this has yet again descended into off-topic debate, and nobody
has actually given an answer to this question I'm gonna close the issue
for us.

Ubuntu Studio will set <Control>Escape to launch gnome-system-monitor in
Metacity but this will not work in Compiz because of the way they do
things. Oh well.

-Cory m/

Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 PM
"Jonathan Musther"

Could we use Ctrl+Alt+Del?* I know what it does on the command line, but (I don't want to try it right now thanks) does it also cause a reboot if you do it in Gnome?

And if we can't use that, can't we think of something else, like.... Ctrl+F12 or Ctrl+Break...* surely there are lots of possible key combinations we could use without messing up unix defaults?

Ok. As this has yet again descended into off-topic debate, and nobody
has actually given an answer to this question I'm gonna close the issue
for us.

Ubuntu Studio will set <Control>Escape to launch gnome-system-monitor in

Metacity but this will not work in Compiz because of the way they do
things. Oh well.

-Cory m/

Slingshot - a unique game everyone enjoys *- and it's free :-)
http://www.slingshot-game.org

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Vincenzo Ciancia

On 07/02/2008 Evan wrote:
> - Killing X is dangerous, and unknown to users from other OSes. People
> hitting it by accident (trying to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, for example), can
> cause damage to their systems etc.
>
> - But somethimes it's the only way to get rid of a crashed full-screen app

It's also the only way to be sure that the login screen is not a "man in
the middle", recording your password and then acting like you entered a
wrong one, quitting and sending you back to gdm.

This could be solved if GDM spawned a new X server for each session and
it stayed fixed e.g. on tty7. Then you'd have to switch to tty7 to log
in, changes to gdm configuration would be reflected immediately etc.

Vincenzo

Old 02-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Jan Claeys

Op vrijdag 08-02-2008 om 12:22 uur [tijdzone +1300], schreef Jonathan
Musther:
> Could we use Ctrl+Alt+Del? I know what it does on the command line,
> but (I don't want to try it right now thanks) does it also cause a
> reboot if you do it in Gnome?

No, it launches the logoff/lock-screen/reboot/shutdown/etc. dialog.

--
Jan Claeys

Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Jan Claeys

Op donderdag 07-02-2008 om 17:38 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Cory K.:
> Ok. As this has yet again descended into off-topic debate, and nobody
> has actually given an answer to this question I'm gonna close the
> issue for us.
>
> Ubuntu Studio will set <Control>Escape to launch gnome-system-monitor
> in Metacity but this will not work in Compiz because of the way they
> do things. Oh well.

First of all: why do you need this shortcut for 'gnome-system-monitor'?
I guess most people don't understand why this is so important, but I'm
sure there are "normal" shortcuts that can be used to launch it if there
is really a need for it...

--
Jan Claeys

Old 02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
"A. Walton"

On Feb 8, 2008 12:32 PM, Jan Claeys <lists@janc.be> wrote:
> Op donderdag 07-02-2008 om 17:38 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Cory K.:
> > Ok. As this has yet again descended into off-topic debate, and nobody
> > has actually given an answer to this question I'm gonna close the
> > issue for us.
> >
> > Ubuntu Studio will set <Control>Escape to launch gnome-system-monitor
> > in Metacity but this will not work in Compiz because of the way they
> > do things. Oh well.
>
> First of all: why do you need this shortcut for 'gnome-system-monitor'?
> I guess most people don't understand why this is so important, but I'm
> sure there are "normal" shortcuts that can be used to launch it if there
> is really a need for it...

I could see a use, as this is Ubuntu Studio and not Ubuntu; music
producers often need to check CPU usage of their software, and avoid
pegging the CPU to avoid nasty pops, cracks and hisses caused by
hardware hiccups. While some utilities have this built in, some don't,
so it's good to keep an eye on CPU usage (and arguably, memory usage
as well).

As for an accelerator to use for this, pick one, stick with it.
Ctrl+Alt+` would be my first suggestion, as it's similar to
Ctrl+Escape, yet less likely to hit on accident by including Alt. If
that doesn't work, well, fun times ahead.

Good luck,
-A. Walton

Old 02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Lars Wirzenius

On pe, 2008-02-08 at 12:53 -0500, A. Walton wrote:
> I could see a use, as this is Ubuntu Studio and not Ubuntu; music
> producers often need to check CPU usage of their software, and avoid
> pegging the CPU to avoid nasty pops, cracks and hisses caused by
> hardware hiccups. While some utilities have this built in, some don't,
> so it's good to keep an eye on CPU usage (and arguably, memory usage
> as well).

I have in my top panel a system monitor that continuously reports CPU,
network, and disk activity (these being the three metrics I'm primarily
interested in). Unobtrusive, and does not require bringing it up
separately.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Jan Claeys

Op vrijdag 08-02-2008 om 12:53 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef A. Walton:
> On Feb 8, 2008 12:32 PM, Jan Claeys <lists@janc.be> wrote:
> > First of all: why do you need this shortcut for 'gnome-system-monitor'?
> > I guess most people don't understand why this is so important, but I'm
> > sure there are "normal" shortcuts that can be used to launch it if there
> > is really a need for it...
>
> I could see a use, as this is Ubuntu Studio and not Ubuntu; music
> producers often need to check CPU usage of their software, and avoid
> pegging the CPU to avoid nasty pops, cracks and hisses caused by
> hardware hiccups. While some utilities have this built in, some don't,
> so it's good to keep an eye on CPU usage (and arguably, memory usage
> as well).

You could also add a launcher for g-s-m to the panel...

There is also the panel applet that shows system graphs; clicking it
starts g-s-m.

> As for an accelerator to use for this, pick one, stick with it.
> Ctrl+Alt+` would be my first suggestion, as it's similar to
> Ctrl+Escape, yet less likely to hit on accident by including Alt. If
> that doesn't work, well, fun times ahead.

I don't see any similarity between those two keyboard shortcuts, but
that's probably because I don't think as if I live in the US? ;-)

--
Jan Claeys

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

On Feb 8, 2008 1:34 PM, Jan Claeys <lists@janc.be> wrote:

> As for an accelerator to use for this, pick one, stick with it.
> Ctrl+Alt+` would be my first suggestion, as it's similar to
> Ctrl+Escape, yet less likely to hit on accident by including Alt. If

> that doesn't work, well, fun times ahead.

I don't see any similarity between those two keyboard shortcuts, but
that's probably because I don't think as if I live in the US? * ;-)

American keyboards put `/~ next to the 1, so it's just below Esc
--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169

apt-get moo

Old 02-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Denis Washington

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 13:40 -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> I don't see any similarity between those two keyboard
> shortcuts, but
> that's probably because I don't think as if I live in the US?
> ;-)
>
> American keyboards put `/~ next to the 1, so it's just below Esc

On German layouts, ` is almost immediately next to backspace, so this
might not be the best idea for a shortcut...

Cheers,
Denis