Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
"Piotr Zaryk"

Default Speakers and sound configuration tool

What do you think about it?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SpeakersAndSound
There have been complaints that Ubuntu lacks a speakers and sound configuration utility, which forces newbies to manually edit .asoundrc and /etc/modules.d/alsa files if they want to use surround sound or another soundcard. Manually editing the files is difficult and frustrating to them, and not an ideal way to handle the issue on the long run.

The 'Speakers and sound' tool should be able to configure: * default soundcard used by Ubuntu * speakers configuration (from 2.0/2.1 to surround 5.1, 7.1, etc.)

Peter Zaryk

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Thomas Novin

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 16:37 +0100, Piotr Zaryk wrote:
> What do you think about it?

Really nice idea and initiative! I went crazy trying to get SP/DIF
working with my AC'97 sound card through asoundrc-configuration. I
actually never got it working perfectly since I could only play from one
source at a time. To be able to solve this via a simple gui would be
heaven.

Rgds,

Thomas

Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Evan

I like the look of this, but it's probably too late to make it to Hardy. Maybe Hardy+1?*

Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 AM
"Piotr Zaryk"

I'm sure it's too late for Hardy. It's an LTS and new, unstable features are not welcome. Yes, I think we should make it for the next release. Please edit the feature description on the ubuntu wiki if you have got some ideas.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM
"Dylan McCall"

I have one suggestion for this suggestion: The user should have some means of testing his setup. It can be quite difficult to be certain when a surround sound setup is actually plugged in correctly, and playing random sounds is not always helpful. I think one powerful possibility would be a test system with a spinning dot that emits a sound, possibly following the mouse pointer. This way, the user has control over where the sound is coming from as well as the ability to test how well in-between sounds (coming from multiple speakers at once) work.

Another thing needing some audio feedback is the balance adjustment, which should really have a light humming noise as it is adjusted in order to find the perfect spot, but I suppose that would be the volume control's problem.

Anyway, you can ignore my unimaginative suggestions. Basically, need speaker tester

Bye,
-Dylan McCall