Old 02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
"Richard Mancusi"

Default Hardy Alpha-4 jockey-gtk

I have been told to use bug tracker, not this list to
report problems. But what if the problem can't be
reported (per Ubuntu)?

----------
Problem in jockey-gtk
The problem cannot be reported:
This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
----------

This had to be installed by the official Ubuntu disc
because (as reported earlier) I can't run the Package
Manager.

-rich

Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Martin Pitt

Richard Mancusi [2008-02-03 8:25 -0600]:
> Problem in jockey-gtk

I just fixed the actual problem in jockey.

> The problem cannot be reported:
> This is not a genuine Ubuntu package

The problem here is that the live file system does not have a valid
Release file, which python-apt could use to determine the origin of a
package. Thus a freshly installed system has the same problem until
the daily apt-get update cronjob kicks in and fetches it from the
network.

Michael and I think that the best fix would be to put a valid Release
file into the live system.

This seems to have worked fine in Gutsy, and the apport code to
evaluate apt.Cache()[packagename].origin didn't change. So maybe the
Release file got inadvertently dropped from CD builds?

Colin, WDYT?

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Colin Watson

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:01:15PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Richard Mancusi [2008-02-03 8:25 -0600]:
> > The problem cannot be reported:
> > This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
>
> The problem here is that the live file system does not have a valid
> Release file, which python-apt could use to determine the origin of a
> package. Thus a freshly installed system has the same problem until
> the daily apt-get update cronjob kicks in and fetches it from the
> network.
>
> Michael and I think that the best fix would be to put a valid Release
> file into the live system.

I agree that there should certainly be a Release file in
/var/lib/apt/lists. We run 'apt-get update' from livecd-rootfs (after
clearing out previous contents of /var/lib/apt/lists to ensure there's
no cruft); shouldn't this be enough? I'm sure it used to be.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Martin Pitt

Colin Watson [2008-02-04 11:13 +0000]:
> I agree that there should certainly be a Release file in
> /var/lib/apt/lists. We run 'apt-get update' from livecd-rootfs (after
> clearing out previous contents of /var/lib/apt/lists to ensure there's
> no cruft); shouldn't this be enough? I'm sure it used to be.

Indeed there is a Release file already. I had a quick chat about this
with Michael, and there seems to be a deeper problem. I put all
information into this bug now:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/188953

Thanks,

Martin