Old 02-03-2008, 01:27 AM
"Richard Mancusi"

Default Hardy Alpha-4 synaptic error

After a clean install (i386 desktop) I receive an error when
attempting either:

1. System/Administration/Update Manager
2. System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager

An error occured
The following details are provided:
E:ERROR: could not create configuration directory
/home/root/.synaptic - mkdir (2 No such file or directory)

I do have a directory /root/.synaptic
and obviously there is no such thing as /home/root
where it appears to be looking.

-rich

Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
"Richard Mancusi"

On Feb 2, 2008 10:59 PM, scott <redhowlingwolves@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Try opening a terminal and typing 'gksu synaptic' or 'gksu update-manager'.
>
> Regards,
> Scott

The "administrative tasks" password box comes up and accepts the
password. Then update manager gui appears showing 32 updates.
However the terminal shows:

----------
vrman@T41:~$ gksu update-manager
warning: could not initiate dbus
Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two
machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that
prevents remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in
/etc/orbitrc. As always, check the user.* syslog for details on
problems gconfd encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home
directory, and it must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles
in individual storage locations such as ~/.gconf
current dist not found in meta-release file
----------

Terminal output from attempting to close the update manager:

----------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py",
line 357, in <lambda>
self.button_close.connect("clicked", lambda w: self.exit())
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py",
line 830, in exit
self.save_state()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py",
line 838, in save_state
gconf.VALUE_INT, gconf.VALUE_INT, x, y)
gobject.GError: No database available to save your configuration:
Unable to store a value at key '/apps/update-manager/window_size', as
the configuration server has no writable databases. There are some
common causes of this problem: 1) your configuration path file
/etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found 2)
somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your operating
system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home
directory or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly
notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped. If you
have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was
launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back
in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps
the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at
once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents
remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As
always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd
encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it
must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual
storage locations such as ~/.gconf
----------

A crash report warning is issued - however it can't be reported:

----------
Problem in update-manager
The problem cannot be reported:
You have some obsolete package versions installed.
Please upgrade the following packages and check if
the problem still occurs:
libgcc1, xinit, cpp-4.2, libffi4, libxml2, libsasl2-2,
coreutils, libsasl2-modules, gcc-4.2-base, libstdc++6
----------

This was a clean install in the manner I believed the average
user would do. Use entire disk, allow Ubuntu to partition,
everything very basic.

hth
-rich

Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Lars Wirzenius

On su, 2008-02-03 at 09:05 -0600, Richard Mancusi wrote:
> vrman@T41:~$ gksu update-manager
> warning: could not initiate dbus

You don't need to run update-manager as root. It will switch to root
(and ask for username then) when it needs it. This should at least fix
the dbus initialization problem. (I don't know about the other problems,
which may be unrelated.)

Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
"Richard Mancusi"

On Feb 3, 2008 9:13 AM, Lars Wirzenius <lars@canonical.com> wrote:
> On su, 2008-02-03 at 09:05 -0600, Richard Mancusi wrote:
> > vrman@T41:~$ gksu update-manager
> > warning: could not initiate dbus
>
> You don't need to run update-manager as root. It will switch to root
> (and ask for username then) when it needs it. This should at least fix
> the dbus initialization problem. (I don't know about the other problems,
> which may be unrelated.)

That fixed the dbus problem. The password works, gui comes up
showing the available updates, then back to a window with my initial
error:

----------

Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Jason Crain

Richard Mancusi wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 9:13 AM, Lars Wirzenius <lars@canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> On su, 2008-02-03 at 09:05 -0600, Richard Mancusi wrote:
>>
>>> vrman@T41:~$ gksu update-manager
>>> warning: could not initiate dbus
>>>
>> You don't need to run update-manager as root. It will switch to root
>> (and ask for username then) when it needs it. This should at least fix
>> the dbus initialization problem. (I don't know about the other problems,
>> which may be unrelated.)
>>
> That fixed the dbus problem. The password works, gui comes up
> showing the available updates, then back to a window with my initial
> error:
>
> ----------
> An error occured
> The following details are provided:
> E:ERROR: could not create configuration directory
> /home/root/.synaptic - mkdir (2 No such file or directory)
>
> Terminal output = current dist not found in meta-release file

Could you run this and tell us what it shows:

sudo -H bash -c 'echo $HOME'

Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Jason Crain