FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Soren Hansen
 
Default KVM, virt-manager, etc.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:00:23AM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>> I think two good options are:
>>>
>>> * Copy the packages from the CD at install time, so they're cached
>>> for use in creating VMs
>>>
>>> * Install via Internet from a mirror
>>>
>>> The former being a better user experience, and the latter being
>>> simpler to implement.
>> The filesystem on the ISO already constitutes a valid mirror, doesn't
>> it? If so, it shouldn't require many lines of shell to copy the
>> relevant bits of the ISO to the hard drive and teach the install
>> system we choose to implement to check if it already has a local
>> mirror like that.
> Yes, it does. However, adding a new component to the installer,
> testing it and ensuring its robustness (e.g. checking for enough free
> disk space) seems substantially more complex than doing a network
> installation (which already works). Wouldn't you agree?

I think we're not entirely on the same page here.

If we want to make the install process a no-questions-asked, background
thing, it's probably not going to involve booting from the ISO (unless
there is a simple way to provide preseed files through kvm that I have
not thought of), but rather some variant of debootstrap + additional
configuration magic. This is what my vm-builder script does now.

debootstrap can use a local mirror, so what I'm thinking is to add a
script that can take the CD and turn it into a local mirror for
debootstrap to use.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team
http://www.ubuntu.com/
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Matt Zimmerman
 
Default KVM, virt-manager, etc.

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:51:16AM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:00:23AM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Yes, it does. However, adding a new component to the installer,
> > testing it and ensuring its robustness (e.g. checking for enough free
> > disk space) seems substantially more complex than doing a network
> > installation (which already works). Wouldn't you agree?
>
> I think we're not entirely on the same page here.
>
> If we want to make the install process a no-questions-asked, background
> thing, it's probably not going to involve booting from the ISO (unless
> there is a simple way to provide preseed files through kvm that I have not
> thought of), but rather some variant of debootstrap + additional
> configuration magic. This is what my vm-builder script does now.

You're correct that this isn't going to involve booting from the ISO, but it
isn't because automating installation from the ISO is difficult. It's
because there isn't an ISO on the system to boot from.

Think about this from the perspective of someone doing a fresh installation
of Ubuntu. They boot up the system for the first time, and want to try out
this "virtualization stuff".

> debootstrap can use a local mirror, so what I'm thinking is to add a
> script that can take the CD and turn it into a local mirror for
> debootstrap to use.

And I'm telling you that the place that script would need to run is in the
installer, because that's the only time when you have the CD available.

--
- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Soren Hansen
 
Default KVM, virt-manager, etc.

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:04:50AM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> I think we're not entirely on the same page here.
>>
>> If we want to make the install process a no-questions-asked,
>> background thing, it's probably not going to involve booting from the
>> ISO (unless there is a simple way to provide preseed files through
>> kvm that I have not thought of),

It turns out, that there *is* a simple way to do that. More about that
later..

>> but rather some variant of debootstrap + additional configuration
>> magic. This is what my vm-builder script does now.
> You're correct that this isn't going to involve booting from the ISO,
> but it isn't because automating installation from the ISO is
> difficult. It's because there isn't an ISO on the system to boot
> from.

Good point.

> Think about this from the perspective of someone doing a fresh
> installation of Ubuntu. They boot up the system for the first time,
> and want to try out this "virtualization stuff".

Right. There are a few options as I see it.

We can present the user with the option to

a) provide the CD or ISO image, if he/she has it available already.
b) offer to download the complete ISO.
c) offer to download a minimal installer (the mini.iso from d-i) and
fetch the rest ad-hoc.

When we have the ISO, we can preseed the installer with data from the
GUI. At some point, I imagine some variant of ubiquity could be used
for this, but I don't think there's time for that for hardy.

>> debootstrap can use a local mirror, so what I'm thinking is to add a
>> script that can take the CD and turn it into a local mirror for
>> debootstrap to use.
> And I'm telling you that the place that script would need to run is in
> the installer, because that's the only time when you have the CD
> available.

Well, yes, it's the only time I can be *sure* to have it available.

What I meant was that if as user happened to have the CD available, I'd
provide a script he could run later to create a mirror of the CD. This
is particularly useful if you (for whatever reason) want to deploy
several different versions of Ubuntu as you can keep a local mirror of
all of them, not only the one you happen to be running on the host
system.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team
http://www.ubuntu.com/
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Matt Zimmerman
 
Default KVM, virt-manager, etc.

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:15:42PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:04:50AM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Think about this from the perspective of someone doing a fresh
> > installation of Ubuntu. They boot up the system for the first time,
> > and want to try out this "virtualization stuff".
>
> Right. There are a few options as I see it.
>
> We can present the user with the option to
>
> a) provide the CD or ISO image, if he/she has it available already.
> b) offer to download the complete ISO.
> c) offer to download a minimal installer (the mini.iso from d-i) and
> fetch the rest ad-hoc.
d) copy the packages to the hard disk during installation

> When we have the ISO, we can preseed the installer with data from the
> GUI. At some point, I imagine some variant of ubiquity could be used
> for this, but I don't think there's time for that for hardy.

I think that the best alternatives are c) and d), but that d) may be
too complex for the first iteration (depending on the circumstances, which
you know better than I do).

--
- mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Lars Wirzenius
 
Default KVM, virt-manager, etc.

On su, 2008-02-03 at 23:48 +0000, (=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=)
-- Fernando wrote:
> egrep ‘(vmx|svm)’ /proc/cpuinfo

Someone, somewhere, has replaced the correct ASCII single quotes (code
point 39, hexadecimla 0x27) with something else. Replace the quotes with
ASCII single or double quotes and it will work.



--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org