Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
George Farris

Default About "Windows Client Integration" blueprint

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 19:04 +0100, Fabrizio Balliano wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I'm following with a lot of interest this blueprint for hardy:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/windows-authentication-integration
> which will allow users to easily authenticate agains an active directory.
>
> That blueprint is marked "essential" but I can't find any info about
> the development progress, I also wrote the author but I got no answer.
> Does anyone have info about that?

So, is there any movement on this stuff? Seems one of those "must
haves" to move Ubuntu into more serious enterprise usage.

There seemed to be no response to the above question.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Brian Murray

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 08:29:20AM -0800, George Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 19:04 +0100, Fabrizio Balliano wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> > I'm following with a lot of interest this blueprint for hardy:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/windows-authentication-integration
> > which will allow users to easily authenticate agains an active directory.
> >
> > That blueprint is marked "essential" but I can't find any info about
> > the development progress, I also wrote the author but I got no answer.
> > Does anyone have info about that?
>
> So, is there any movement on this stuff? Seems one of those "must
> haves" to move Ubuntu into more serious enterprise usage.

This looks like a server team blueprint to me so you might try their
specific mailing list.

--
Brian Murray @ubuntu.com

Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM
"Fabrizio Balliano"

> This looks like a server team blueprint to me so you might try their
> specific mailing list.

I'll try but it doesn't seem to me to be a "server only" task because
we're talking about authenticate a workstation against an AD, not
create a AD server, anyway I'll write to the server ML too.

Just as a reference, I wrote also to the assignee of the blueprint but
I didn't get any answer.

--
Fabrizio Balliano

CREALABS SNC
Via G. F. Medail, 32 - 10144 Torino - Italy
Tel. (+39) 011.094.41.10 - Fax (+39) 178.227.63.81
http://www.crealabs.it - fabrizio.balliano@crealabs.it

Old 01-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Mathias Gug

Hi Fabrizio,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:17:00PM +0100, Fabrizio Balliano wrote:
> > This looks like a server team blueprint to me so you might try their
> > specific mailing list.
>
> I'll try but it doesn't seem to me to be a "server only" task because
> we're talking about authenticate a workstation against an AD, not
> create a AD server, anyway I'll write to the server ML too.

Brian is correct. The integration of likewise is undertaken by the
Server Team [1]. As mentioned during yesterday's server team meeting,
version 4.0.4 should be uploaded in universe within the next few days.
It comes with a new Gtk based GUI to join a domain. A CLI is also
available. Help in testing it is always welcomed !

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

--
Mathias

Old 01-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Dries Desmet

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi Fabrizio,
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:17:00PM +0100, Fabrizio Balliano wrote:
>
>>> This looks like a server team blueprint to me so you might try their
>>> specific mailing list.
>>>
>> I'll try but it doesn't seem to me to be a "server only" task because
>> we're talking about authenticate a workstation against an AD, not
>> create a AD server, anyway I'll write to the server ML too.
>>

> Brian is correct. The integration of likewise is undertaken by the
> Server Team [1]. As mentioned during yesterday's server team meeting,
> version 4.0.4 should be uploaded in universe within the next few days.
> It comes with a new Gtk based GUI to join a domain. A CLI is also
> available. Help in testing it is always welcomed !
>
> [1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>
> --
> Mathias

Is that version 4.0.4 of authtool? What packages are involved in this
spec? Also, can't find a link on [1] for yesterday's meeting. Is it
available somewhere?

Thanks.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server

Dries.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Mathias Gug

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 08:23:47PM +0100, Dries Desmet wrote:
> Is that version 4.0.4 of authtool? What packages are involved in this
> spec? Also, can't find a link on [1] for yesterday's meeting. Is it
> available somewhere?

The specification refers to Likewise Open [1]. I've posted the minutes
of yesterday's meetings [2]. If you're interested in testing it, I'd
suggest to join the ubunut-server mailing list [3].

[1]: http://www.likewisesoftware.com/community/
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20080130

Mathias