Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 AM
"Bryan Quigley"

Default gThumb

I was wondering what the reasoning was to get rid of gThumb in the default install (ubuntu desktop package).* Is their an application that has been added to help people organize home movies that I missed?
Thanks,
Bryan

Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
"Wouter Stomp"

On Jan 15, 2008 5:59 AM, Bryan Quigley <gquigs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering what the reasoning was to get rid of gThumb in the default
> install (ubuntu desktop package). Is their an application that has been
> added to help people organize home movies that I missed?

To reduce duplication. F-spot is included to organize your photos (not
movies, but I don't think gthumb does that either?).

Wouter.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 13:59 +0100, Wouter Stomp wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 5:59 AM, Bryan Quigley <gquigs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering what the reasoning was to get rid of gThumb in the default
> > install (ubuntu desktop package). Is their an application that has been
> > added to help people organize home movies that I missed?
>
> To reduce duplication. F-spot is included to organize your photos (not
> movies, but I don't think gthumb does that either?).

Not to mention that nautilus and eog already handle 95% of gthumb's
functionality. You can open a folder in Nautilus, browse the files
within it, double-click to make them bigger and use Next/Previous
buttons to move between them at full size.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@ubuntu.com

Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
"Bryan Quigley"

I outlined in my specification (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/No-Mono-by-Default)* how gThumb has more functionality than F-Spot, is more efficient memory wise and takes up less space.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:38 -0500, Bryan Quigley wrote:

> I outlined in my specification
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/No-Mono-by-Default) how gThumb has more
> functionality than F-Spot, is more efficient memory wise and takes up
> less space.

We feel the opposite, that f-spot has a better user experience.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@ubuntu.com

Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Kevin Fries

resending to group, cuz I accidentally replied to poster

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 15:41 +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> We feel the opposite, that f-spot has a better user experience.

This argument has raged before. Has anyone thought of maybe a
compromise... Something much better than GThumb (not hard) but not based
on Mono. Maybe something like Blue Marine?

http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/

Just a thought. They already package a DEB file and it is about 30M,
not sure how big the other packages are.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer

Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Milan

Kevin Fries wrote:
> This argument has raged before. Has anyone thought of maybe a
> compromise... Something much better than GThumb (not hard) but not based
> on Mono. Maybe something like Blue Marine?
>
> http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/
>
> Just a thought. They already package a DEB file and it is about 30M,
> not sure how big the other packages are.

Is Java really better than Mono? Not speaking of needs to stabilize this
development version...

Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Kevin Fries

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 19:34 +0100, Milan wrote:
> Kevin Fries wrote:
> > This argument has raged before. Has anyone thought of maybe a
> > compromise... Something much better than GThumb (not hard) but not based
> > on Mono. Maybe something like Blue Marine?
> >
> > http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/
> >
> > Just a thought. They already package a DEB file and it is about 30M,
> > not sure how big the other packages are.
> >

> Is Java really better than Mono? Not speaking of needs to stabilize this
> development version...

I personally don't have a problem with Mono or Java. Both are excellent
technologies in my book. Each has advantages and disadvantages like any
technology. But when I last defended Mono and F-Spot, I got jumped like
a gang member in the wrong neighborhood.

Just trying to show options here. Looking for solutions to defuse the
argument that erupted last time this was brought up, before the argument
erupts again. Hoping to show that while gThumb is a poor product on its
best days (editorial, I know, but face it, its not good), but F-Spot and
Mono are not our only solutions. There are other programs out there
that are of some serious quality.

The BM page says that the product is not quite of release quality, but
lets be real, its not of a professional release quality. For the
average consumer, its perfectly stable enough. I would not want to rely
on this if I was a professional photographer until a few bugs were
worked out. But this product has no more bugs than the average FOSS
product.

BTW, I have just briefly played with Blue Marine, and that is one hell
of a program. The type that really takes a run away from the second
rate Windows based graphical tools, and right at the far superior Mac
based one. It would definitely be a capabilities upgrade from anything
in the repos now. If nothing else, putting that in Multiverse would not
be the dumbest idea I heard.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

Blue Marine is one program I've seen recommended for proper handling of EXIF data (that's the metadata I was trying to remember).* I was looking for an alternative to F-Spot because of the poor EXIF-handling at the time.

On Jan 15, 2008 1:56 PM, Kevin Fries <kfries@cctus.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 19:34 +0100, Milan wrote:
> Kevin Fries wrote:
> > This argument has raged before. *Has anyone thought of maybe a
> > compromise... Something much better than GThumb (not hard) but not based

> > on Mono. *Maybe something like Blue Marine?
> >
> > http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/
> >
> > Just a thought. *They already package a DEB file and it is about 30M,

> > not sure how big the other packages are.
> >

> Is Java really better than Mono? Not speaking of needs to stabilize this
> development version...

I personally don't have a problem with Mono or Java. *Both are excellent

technologies in my book. *Each has advantages and disadvantages like any
technology. *But when I last defended Mono and F-Spot, I got jumped like
a gang member in the wrong neighborhood.

Just trying to show options here. *Looking for solutions to defuse the

argument that erupted last time this was brought up, before the argument
erupts again. *Hoping to show that while gThumb is a poor product on its
best days (editorial, I know, but face it, its not good), but F-Spot and

Mono are not our only solutions. *There are other programs out there
that are of some serious quality.

The BM page says that the product is not quite of release quality, but
lets be real, its not of a professional release quality. *For the

average consumer, its perfectly stable enough. *I would not want to rely
on this if I was a professional photographer until a few bugs were
worked out. *But this product has no more bugs than the average FOSS

product.

BTW, I have just briefly played with Blue Marine, and that is one hell
of a program. *The type that really takes a run away from the second
rate Windows based graphical tools, and right at the far superior Mac

based one. *It would definitely be a capabilities upgrade from anything
in the repos now. *If nothing else, putting that in Multiverse would not
be the dumbest idea I heard.

--
Kevin Fries

Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A Division of Japan Communications Inc.

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683
<-my blog of Ubuntu stuff
apt-get moo

Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Jean Levasseur

Perhaps, there is Digikam which is really neat, but it's KDE based, so I
would still stick with f-spot as default. After getting a little love
from devs (that are already doing an awesome job) f-spot will rock!