FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Kevin Fries
 
Default Apt-Cacher again, sorta

At the risk of picking at old wounds...

I noticed a behavior this week that probably should be addressed. I
fell into it by relying on Apt-Cacher, but a quick search on the forums
shows lots of others having issues based upon other types of
connectivity problems...

I have been building VMs like mad. I have a simulation build that I am
in the middle of that include a minimum of seven machines on four
virtual networks. I tried this on my laptop... not one of my smarter
ideas. I now have a nice server I conned somebody out of. Here is how
I fell into the trap:

I built a basic Ubuntu Server build. I then added the VMware server
from the VMware site (the one in the repositories for some silly reason
has no management piece????). I then build my first virtual machine
using Ubuntu Jeos (yes Neal, its that project, remind me to show you
when I see you next). This first server was designed to represent a
Linux firewall locked down to within an inch of its life. No
pass-through. I installed DNS and DHCP to serve the other machines to
come (its also the machine I am fighting with kerberos on). In the
wild, this network will be extremely restrictive, and standard desktops
may or may not have access to the Internet. To keep the simulation
simple, I am assuming no machine has access to the Internet, knowing
that I can always relax the restriction in production.

Now I built the second machine on the network. The first machine had
eth0 set up using bridging, and eth1 and eth2 connected to private
networks. The second machine connected to one of these private
networks. Updates will be done via Apt-Cacher installed on the first
machine. However, when installing on these machines inside the
protected network, installation came to a halt, often waiting as much as
an hour before tossing an error on the screen and moving on. You see,
it got upset over Apt wanting to get to the Internet to configure the
Mirrors. Once it finally gave up, it left the sources.list file in a
mess, then finished the install.

Now I know some of you are going to think that I am going to bring up
about supporting Apt-Cacher on install again aren't you? Well consider
this my only pitch on that, because there is a bigger more important
point here.

When I looked up the issue (as I thought the install had crashed after
30 minutes of inactivity), I saw a bunch of people with the same issue.
They were complaining about it, and telling newbs to disconnect their
network card from the network to make it work. OUCH! Is this what we
want to tell newbs right after we convince them that Linux is as easy to
use as Windows? While they were not seeing it because of apt-cacher and
a network locked down by an insane admin (yes, me), they were seeing it
due to either overloaded mirrors at the time, or other networking
issues.

I know there was conversations about including apt-cacher or some other
apt mirroring software into hardy here just a few months ago. But if we
are not going to do that, we should at least make the process less
painful in the case of simple communications errors. Some of these
people out on the forums were just jacked up because the wireless driver
was not included on the CD by default.

Maybe we need to delay this mirror finding piece until after install?

Maybe we need to have this mirror finding piece understand a downed
network?

Maybe we need to have this mirror finding piece time out quicker?

Something, I am a geek to the core. Been using Linux since the RedHat 2
days. So, once I realized what was going on, I went to lunch. Once I
got back, Ubuntu had dumped garbage and went on. I could then easily
clean up the mess. But Ubuntu is trying to reach out to newbs. And
they will not understand. It also leaves no repos installed which can
cause a second round of confusion to the less initiated.

Just my $0.02

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A Division of Japan Communications Inc.

--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Fabian Rodriguez
 
Default Apt-Cacher again, sorta

Kevin Fries wrote:
> At the risk of picking at old wounds...
>
> I noticed a behavior this week that probably should be addressed. I
> fell into it by relying on Apt-Cacher, but a quick search on the forums
> shows lots of others having issues based upon other types of
> connectivity problems...
[...]

Kevin, can you provide any URLs to those forum posts ? I can look into
it over the next few days. I originally was interested in writin a MIR
about apt-cacher, just haven' t gotten around writing it yet. At the
time I searched for a good time for reports about any issues with
apt-cacher and couldn' t find any, not bug reports.

Tx,

Fabian


--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Kevin Fries
 
Default Apt-Cacher again, sorta

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 01:23 -0500, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
> Kevin, can you provide any URLs to those forum posts ? I can look into
> it over the next few days. I originally was interested in writin a MIR
> about apt-cacher, just haven' t gotten around writing it yet. At the
> time I searched for a good time for reports about any issues with
> apt-cacher and couldn' t find any, not bug reports.

Remember, Apt-Cacher was just the catalus of a bigger problem. But here
are three threads of people complaining about what looks like a crash in
the install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219861
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=628945
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580590

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A Division of Japan Communications Inc.

--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 
Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
"Fabian Rodriguez"
 
Default Apt-Cacher again, sorta

It's been a while since you wrote this, but I was just checking those threads and they all refer to apt, not apt-cacher.

Cheers,

Fabian

On Jan 11, 2008 9:04 AM, Kevin Fries <kfries@cctus.com> wrote:


On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 01:23 -0500, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
> Kevin, can you provide any URLs to those forum posts ? I can look into

> it over the next few days. I originally was interested in writin a MIR
> about apt-cacher, just haven' t gotten around writing it yet. At the
> time I searched for a good time for reports about any issues with

> apt-cacher and couldn' t find any, not bug reports.

Remember, Apt-Cacher was just the catalus of a bigger problem. *But here
are three threads of people complaining about what looks like a crash in

the install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219861
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=628945

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580590

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc

A Division of Japan Communications Inc.

--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss



--
http://www.fabianrodriguez.com
--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org