Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 AM
"Nagin Chand"

Default ubuntu 7.10--erratic install

I obtained CD of ubuntu 7.10. It boots live. When I wish to install through the button provided, it takes the user through 7 steps one by one. At the end when it is installing the system, it never ends. After giving the message 'less than a minute remaining' and then 'apt configuring' 'mirroring' etc. it never finishes.

[I could install it once after trying for a few times. There was a need to re-do it. But it is not happening.] It is as if the installer tires and then simply retires without informing. It is not a good sign of programming.

In the linux world, this is the main problem. On the other hand redhat/fedora seldom fail. they get installed.

I work on Intel dual core system with 1 Gb memory and 160 Gb hard disk with ATI graphics card (128 Mb RAM). Help, if it is possible.!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Colin Watson

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:10:20AM -0500, Nagin Chand wrote:
> I obtained CD of ubuntu 7.10. It boots live. When I wish to install
> through the button provided, it takes the user through 7 steps one by
> one. At the end when it is installing the system, it never ends. After
> giving the message 'less than a minute remaining' and then 'apt
> configuring' 'mirroring' etc. it never finishes.

We have been hacking around a few problems like this for some time, but
the approach taken has not been perfect, hence the problems some people
are encountering in 7.10. A comprehensive set of fixes is already on the
roadmap for 8.04.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]