Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 AM
chiran maduranga

Default ubuntu

hi, what do you want to know from me? *

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.--
Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
charlie Mackenzie

hello i have tried to download ubuntu via wubi several times. it seems like the perfect program for me as a want to run both ubuntu and vista ultimate side by side i downloaded it as instructed but when wui boots up my screen turns itself off. i get sound but my screen is off. can you help me please. thank you very much for your help.

just so you know i have a VAIO fz11s (in case that helps)

thank you

charlie mackenzie

*

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Kristian Rink

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:34:17 +0000
schrieb charlie Mackenzie <chuckmanbob@hotmail.co.uk>:

> hello i have tried to download ubuntu via wubi several times. it
> seems like the perfect program for me as a want to run both ubuntu
> and vista ultimate side by side i downloaded it as instructed but
> when wui boots up my screen turns itself off.

Just to eliminate any possible wubi-related issues: Have you tried
booting Ubuntu directly using the LiveCD / installer? Maybe this would
be a good way to check whether your Vaio works well with Ubuntu.

Cheers & good luck,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu@jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
"Rick Adkins"

I just downloaded Ubuntu.* I have system commander and it
set up a partition for it but I can’t seem to get it to install there.*
Are there steps available somewhere that would instruct installation to a
particular partition?

*

F. E. Adkins

*

Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 AM
James Takac

Hi Rick

On Thursday 11 September 2008 21:26:07 Rick Adkins wrote:
> I just downloaded Ubuntu. I have system commander and it set up a
> partition for it but I can't seem to get it to install there. Are there
> steps available somewhere that would instruct installation to a particular
> partition?
>

> F. E. Adkins

My usual approach is to let gparted live cd (can download a bootable cd for it
at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php ) and use it to re-size the
windows partition (assuming you have windows) to allow the space I wish for
Ubuntu. In fact I leave the new free space unpartitioned and from the Ubuntu
install tell it to use the available free space from the options available

James

Old 09-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Karl Larsen

Rick Adkins wrote:
> I just downloaded Ubuntu. I have system commander and it set up a partition
> for it but I can't seem to get it to install there. Are there steps
> available somewhere that would instruct installation to a particular
> partition?
>

> F. E. Adkins

Yes there is. When the loader gets ready to partition select manual
partition and you will be able to see the partition you made and use it.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM
elmo

Rick Adkins wrote:
> I just downloaded Ubuntu. I have system commander and it set up a partition
> for it but I can't seem to get it to install there. Are there steps
> available somewhere that would instruct installation to a particular
> partition?
>

> F. E. Adkins

It's optional as to whether to create a new partition before attempting
to install UBUNTU or doing it during the installation. The partition
should be formatted ext3.

Assuming that you created a proper IMAGE disk from your download, you
should be able to start your computer with the disk installed and have a
working UBUNTU without actually installing it. You'll see an INSTALL icon
that will lead you to the installation process where you can create and
resize partitions. If you had created a partition before the
installation you can choose it or create/modify a partition during the
installation. Examine what you see to get familiar with it so you can
make wiser choices.

Just be sure you have an IMAGE disk and not just an ordinary copy of
your download.

elmo

Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
"Bouie de Klerk"

Hi

*

I do apologize if this the wrong group to ask. If so
please direct me.

*

I come from M$ development environment, but would very
much like to acquaint myself with Linux Ubuntu development. I believe I have
much to learn of Linux environment and development. I have been developing win
software using Borland Delphi 5, not interested in .net.

*

My first question would be, what dev tool/language you
would suggest I look at first, would suit me best coming from Delphi.
I do not want to waist anybodies valuable time joining the MOTO, at least not
until I can be of benefit to the group. I would like to, in time, become a
member and contribute to this excellent environment.

*

Can you please also direct me to a group that can help/guide
me to where I can learn more of the basic Linux environment? To get acquainted with
Linux.

*

I have and Intel core 2 due, installed Ubuntu 8.10, both
i386 and amd64

*

A million thanks for all the help I can get.

*

Regards

Bouie de Klerk

Midrand

RSA

Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Rafael Belmonte

Welcome to MOTU Bouie, we are glad of anybody who want to contribute.
You are surely a much better programmer than me, but if you would need help with Linux issues, basic knowledge or other stuff, you can rely on me when you want.

Cheers.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Stefan Lesicnik

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Bouie de Klerk <bouiek@iburst.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>

> Can you please also direct me to a group that can help/guide me to where I
> can learn more of the basic Linux environment? To get acquainted with Linux.
> I have and Intel core 2 due, installed Ubuntu 8.10, both i386 and amd64
> A million thanks for all the help I can get.
> Regards
>
> Bouie de Klerk
> Midrand
> RSA

Hi Boule,

Glad to have another member from South Africa.

Have a look at the MOTU getting started [0]

Also, consider joining the ubuntu-za loco[1] and maililng list. We
are planning to have a PackageJam[2] which I would like to run soon.

Regards,

Stefan

0 - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted
1 - http://wiki.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki_Home