Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Lloyd Miller

Default Ubuntu

Ok, I got ubuntu 9.10 installed, everything working perfectly. What I'd like to do, is there a way to send my music files(mp3's) from my winxp config which is on the same drive different partition?** I'm trying to do away with windows comepletely but i'd hate to lose 5 gigs of fabulous music.* Anyone?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:22 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:
> Ok, I got ubuntu 9.10 installed, everything working perfectly. What I'd
> like to do, is there a way to send my music files(mp3's) from my winxp
> config which is on the same drive different partition? I'm trying to
> do away with windows comepletely but i'd hate to lose 5 gigs of fabulous
> music. Anyone?

You just need to mount the partition and copy your files over.

'sudo fdisk -l' in a terminal to get a list of partitions.

Then to mount it run:

'sudo ntfs-3g /dev/{partition} /mnt'

Browse to /mnt and go get your music files.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Ray Parrish

Lloyd Miller wrote:
> Ok, I got ubuntu 9.10 installed, everything working perfectly. What
> I'd like to do, is there a way to send my music files(mp3's) from my
> winxp config which is on the same drive different partition? I'm
> trying to do away with windows comepletely but i'd hate to lose 5 gigs
> of fabulous music. Anyone?

Do you have a CD burner? If so, backup your mp3s by burning them to data
CDs [not music CDs] which will hold about 700 MBs of mp3 files each. You
can use Brasero to do the burning within Ubuntu, it's on the
Applications, Sound & Video menu.

You can read, and play the mp3s right from where they are on the Windows
drive, as Ubuntu reads the Windows file system [NTFS] no problem.

Rythmbox is a good mp3 player which will give you a sorted library
interface to your collection, even while it's still on the NTFS
partition. It's on the Applications, Sound & Video menu.

I hope this is the help you needed.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..