Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Matt Zimmerman

Default Keyring password ( Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One)

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27:00PM +0100, Loc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> > I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
> >
> > Is this because I chose auto-login? Is there any way to avoid this awkward
> > prompt?
>
> Yes, it's only with autologin; it's a long standing limitation that you
> have no password on the PAM stack for libpam-gnome-keyring to work in
> this case. I think the OEM folks workaround this by pre-creating a
> keyring with no password instead. #137247

Using a null password seems a more reasonable fallback than prompting the
user to create a new password. Even better, perhaps, would be to prompt
them for their *own* password instead of a new one, so that the keyring can
be automatically unlocked if they login with a password.

I have an 8.10 system where the keyring password and login password seem to
be out of sync, and I haven't worked out how to fix it. I assume something
is supposed to keep them in sync?

--
- mdz

Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Matt Zimmerman

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27:16PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman [2009-03-24 11:07 +0000]:
> > I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> > I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
> >
> > Is this because I chose auto-login?
>
> Yes, it is. NM (as well as Evolution, seahorse, and other bits) use
> gnome-keyring to store passwords. gnome-keyring is encrypted with a
> keyring password.
>
> We use pam-keyring to keep the PAM and gnome-keyring passwords
> synchronized, but obviously with auto-login, PAM does not know your
> password and thus gnome-keyring has to ask.
>
> > Is there any way to avoid this awkward prompt?
>
> Tricky. I'm not very fond of disabling the keyring password entirely
> in such cases and thus store passwords unencrypted; that might be
> acceptable for wifi passwords, but much less so for SSH ones.

How about prompting the user for their login password, so that at least we
hide the fact that they are separate?

What makes this confusing is that the user doesn't really understand what
this password will be used for, and why they need an additional password.

--
- mdz

Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Matt Zimmerman

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:49:08PM +0100, Wouter Stomp wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Matt Zimmerman [2009-03-24 11:07 +0000]:
> >> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> >> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
> >> *Is there any way to avoid this awkward prompt?
> >
> > Tricky. I'm not very fond of disabling the keyring password entirely
> > in such cases and thus store passwords unencrypted; that might be
> > acceptable for wifi passwords, but much less so for SSH ones.
> >
> > This cries for a more fundamental design discussion about single-user
> > vs. multi-user use cases, account management, and using gnome-keyring.
> > I don't think we can sensibly change this still for Jaunty.
> >

> How about only storing wifi passwords unencrypted then for jaunty as a
> temporary solution? (having to type my password anyway after autologin
> has been a long time annoyance for me, it kind of defeats the whole
> purpose of autologin for me)

This seems perfectly reasonable to me; wifi passwords are not usually so
sensitive that they need to be encrypted on disk.

--
- mdz