-   -   Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-development/268962-installation-report-unr-20090324-acer-aspire-one.html)

Matt Zimmerman 03-24-2009 09:59 AM

Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

* First, a cosmetic issue: "Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix without any change to
your computer" is a bit long (though it does fit on the screen OK)

* I received an unexpected Pop-up "Unmount partitions that are in use?"
during partitioner startup:

The installer has detected that the following disks have mounted
partitions: /dev/sdb [this is my USB stick]

Surely the installation media should be automatically excluded?
This looks to have been filed as
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/netbook-remix/+bug/344449
(untriaged) and
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/346589

Is the "netbook-remix" project an appropriate place to file UNR bugs, or
should they always be filed on Ubuntu packages instead? Both?

* I expected clicking "continue" to proceed, ignoring this partition.
Instead, it caused the dialog to be displayed again and again, until
I clicked "Go back", which actually went forward

This is also mentioned in
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/346589

* Just as the installation was finishing, the X server crashed due to
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/328035

This is the first time I had seen this bug outside of a suspend/resume
scenario, and so I'm getting more concerned about it.

* The usplash shutdown display (including the prompt to remove the USB key)
was corrupted. This may have been related to the X server crash, so I'd
appreciate confirmation if anyone else saw this.

* The WiFi did not work out of the box, but worked after I removed the
acer_wmi module.

This confirms https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/319825

* Jockey popped up and offered the madwifi driver, which is odd as ath5k
worked fine. I confirmed https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/346078

* Putting Cheese into Favourites is great; the webcam works out of the box
and it's fun to play with. Does it appear there even if there is no
(detected) webcam though?

--
- mdz

Matt Zimmerman 03-24-2009 10:01 AM

Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

One further issue: closing the lid correctly suspends the machine, but
opening the lid doesn't resume it. I have to press the power button.

Is this a hardware limitation (seems unlikely) or a bug?

--
- mdz

Matt Zimmerman 03-24-2009 10:07 AM

Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.

Is this because I chose auto-login? Is there any way to avoid this awkward
prompt?

--
- mdz

Loc Minier 03-24-2009 10:22 AM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Does it appear there even if there is no
> (detected) webcam though?

Yes, cheese appears unconditionally

--
Loc Minier

Loc Minier 03-24-2009 10:22 AM

Loc Minier 03-24-2009 10:23 AM

Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> One further issue: closing the lid correctly suspends the machine, but
> opening the lid doesn't resume it. I have to press the power button.
>
> Is this a hardware limitation (seems unlikely) or a bug?

I have the same issue with EeePC 701SD but didn't know whether the BIOS
was expecting the user to press a key before resuming.

--
Loc Minier

Loc Minier 03-24-2009 10:23 AM