Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Wouter Stomp

Default Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman [2009-03-24 11:07 +0000]:
>> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
>> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>> *Is there any way to avoid this awkward prompt?
>
> Tricky. I'm not very fond of disabling the keyring password entirely
> in such cases and thus store passwords unencrypted; that might be
> acceptable for wifi passwords, but much less so for SSH ones.
>
> This cries for a more fundamental design discussion about single-user
> vs. multi-user use cases, account management, and using gnome-keyring.
> I don't think we can sensibly change this still for Jaunty.

How about only storing wifi passwords unencrypted then for jaunty as a
temporary solution? (having to type my password anyway after autologin
has been a long time annoyance for me, it kind of defeats the whole
purpose of autologin for me)

Wouter

Tue Mar 24 20:30:02 2009