Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Chow Loong Jin

Default Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 11:07 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>
> Is this because I chose auto-login? Is there any way to avoid this awkward
> prompt?
I believe it'll prompt you on your first log in (and first connection to
an encrypted network). Then, if you set a password that's not blank, it
will prompt you for a password when you log in.

However, if libpam-keyring is installed, auto-login is disabled, and
your keyring password is the same as your login password, it'll
auto-unlock your keyring when you log in. The reason for this is that
libpam-keyring takes the password you have typed in at GDM to unlock
your keyring when you log in.

If you use auto-login and do not want to type in your keyring password,
then you have to use a blank password for your keyring, after which
it'll prompt you asking if you want to use unsecured storage.
--
Chow Loong Jin

Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Chow Loong Jin

Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Malcolm

2009/3/24 Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com>:
> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>
> Is this because I chose auto-login? Is there any way to avoid this awkward
> prompt?

Use an empty password for the default keyring.

--
Malcolm Parsons

Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Dave Morley

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 12:23 +0100, Loc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > One further issue: closing the lid correctly suspends the machine, but
> > opening the lid doesn't resume it. I have to press the power button.
> >
> > Is this a hardware limitation (seems unlikely) or a bug?
>
> I have the same issue with EeePC 701SD but didn't know whether the BIOS
> was expecting the user to press a key before resuming.
>
> --
> Loc Minier

Lool

On my aceraspire one it did the same thing in linpus lite so I'm
assuming that it is a expected behaviour hope that helps
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk

Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Dave Morley

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Loc Minier

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>
> Is this because I chose auto-login? Is there any way to avoid this awkward
> prompt?

Yes, it's only with autologin; it's a long standing limitation that you
have no password on the PAM stack for libpam-gnome-keyring to work in
this case. I think the OEM folks workaround this by pre-creating a
keyring with no password instead. #137247

--
Loc Minier

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Loc Minier

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Martin Pitt

Matt Zimmerman [2009-03-24 11:07 +0000]:
> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>
> Is this because I chose auto-login?

Yes, it is. NM (as well as Evolution, seahorse, and other bits) use
gnome-keyring to store passwords. gnome-keyring is encrypted with a
keyring password.

We use pam-keyring to keep the PAM and gnome-keyring passwords
synchronized, but obviously with auto-login, PAM does not know your
password and thus gnome-keyring has to ask.

> Is there any way to avoid this awkward prompt?

Tricky. I'm not very fond of disabling the keyring password entirely
in such cases and thus store passwords unencrypted; that might be
acceptable for wifi passwords, but much less so for SSH ones.

This cries for a more fundamental design discussion about single-user
vs. multi-user use cases, account management, and using gnome-keyring.
I don't think we can sensibly change this still for Jaunty.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Martin Pitt

Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Wouter Stomp

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman [2009-03-24 11:07 +0000]:
>> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
>> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>> *Is there any way to avoid this awkward prompt?
>
> Tricky. I'm not very fond of disabling the keyring password entirely
> in such cases and thus store passwords unencrypted; that might be
> acceptable for wifi passwords, but much less so for SSH ones.
>
> This cries for a more fundamental design discussion about single-user
> vs. multi-user use cases, account management, and using gnome-keyring.
> I don't think we can sensibly change this still for Jaunty.

How about only storing wifi passwords unencrypted then for jaunty as a
temporary solution? (having to type my password anyway after autologin
has been a long time annoyance for me, it kind of defeats the whole
purpose of autologin for me)

Wouter