Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Scott Ritchie

Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

I wanted to bring this to the attention of the mailing list, as it's
been a pet annoyance of mine for 10 months now with a relatively simple
workaround. Simply put, my laptop will emit a very harsh screech
powered by the PC Speaker, and Ubuntu is to blame. There are two bugs:

A harsh beep during normal use whenever the "alert sound" is supposed to
trigger:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/301174
A harsh beep on shutdown:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/290204

Something is clearly wrong. It was bad enough that this was a problem
in Intrepid, but it's still happening in Jaunty as well.

There was talk earlier of blacklisting the pcspkr module by default. If
we can't solve these two bugs then that seems like a fine workaround.
The best solution, of course, is to actually solve the bugs - I'd like
to actually hear that friendly Gnome alert beep instead of the harsh
system beep I'm getting.

Regardless, if this doesn't get fixed then you can bet we'll see
reviewers complaining about Ubuntu using the very words I did in the
subject of my email.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

Old 03-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Mike Rooney

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott@open-vote.org> wrote:
> I wanted to bring this to the attention of the mailing list, as it's
> been a pet annoyance of mine for 10 months now with a relatively simple
> workaround. *Simply put, my laptop will emit a very harsh screech
> powered by the PC Speaker, and Ubuntu is to blame. *There are two bugs:
>
> A harsh beep during normal use whenever the "alert sound" is supposed to
> trigger:
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/301174
> A harsh beep on shutdown:
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/290204
>
> Something is clearly wrong. *It was bad enough that this was a problem
> in Intrepid, but it's still happening in Jaunty as well.
>
> There was talk earlier of blacklisting the pcspkr module by default. *If
> we can't solve these two bugs then that seems like a fine workaround.
> The best solution, of course, is to actually solve the bugs - I'd like
> to actually hear that friendly Gnome alert beep instead of the harsh
> system beep I'm getting.
>
> Regardless, if this doesn't get fixed then you can bet we'll see
> reviewers complaining about Ubuntu using the very words I did in the
> subject of my email.

I had this problem in early Jaunty alphas as well, although it seems
to have fixed itself after a fresh install of Alpha 5. Have you tried
this Scott? It may mean that the issue is solved for at least some
cases in the final release. Either way I agree it is quite disturbing;
everyone in my office also found it annoying for a bit until I gave up
and went back to Intrepid until A5.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney@gmail.com

Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I wanted to bring this to the attention of the mailing list, as it's
> been a pet annoyance of mine for 10 months now with a relatively simple
> workaround. *Simply put, my laptop will emit a very harsh screech
> powered by the PC Speaker, and Ubuntu is to blame.

You might be interested in this bug, which is related but does not
directly address your situation:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/282954

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Daniel Chen

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott@open-vote.org> wrote:
> Something is clearly wrong. *It was bad enough that this was a problem
> in Intrepid, but it's still happening in Jaunty as well.

Hooray, another regression.

I am going to begin ignoring audio bug reports that do not have
alsa-info.sh output attached. Particularly if the symptoms can be
reproduced by reverting to an older kernel.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Scott Ritchie

Mike Rooney wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott@open-vote.org> wrote:
>> I wanted to bring this to the attention of the mailing list, as it's
>> been a pet annoyance of mine for 10 months now with a relatively simple
>> workaround. Simply put, my laptop will emit a very harsh screech
>> powered by the PC Speaker, and Ubuntu is to blame. There are two bugs:
>>
>> A harsh beep during normal use whenever the "alert sound" is supposed to
>> trigger:
>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/301174
>> A harsh beep on shutdown:
>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/290204
>>
>> Something is clearly wrong. It was bad enough that this was a problem
>> in Intrepid, but it's still happening in Jaunty as well.
>>
>> There was talk earlier of blacklisting the pcspkr module by default. If
>> we can't solve these two bugs then that seems like a fine workaround.
>> The best solution, of course, is to actually solve the bugs - I'd like
>> to actually hear that friendly Gnome alert beep instead of the harsh
>> system beep I'm getting.
>>
>> Regardless, if this doesn't get fixed then you can bet we'll see
>> reviewers complaining about Ubuntu using the very words I did in the
>> subject of my email.
>>

> I had this problem in early Jaunty alphas as well, although it seems
> to have fixed itself after a fresh install of Alpha 5. Have you tried
> this Scott? It may mean that the issue is solved for at least some
> cases in the final release. Either way I agree it is quite disturbing;
> everyone in my office also found it annoying for a bit until I gave up
> and went back to Intrepid until A5.

This is after a fresh install of Alpha 6 (albeit with my old home
directory). It might be somewhat hardware specific then.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Sarah Hobbs

On 20/03/09 05:26, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> This is after a fresh install of Alpha 6 (albeit with my old home
> directory). It might be somewhat hardware specific then.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

I know we had blacklisted pcspkr, which then changed name to snd_pcspkr
(or similar), and in jaunty, returned to pcspkr. I've often wanted to
add pcspkr to the blacklist, but am currently unsure how to do it.

Hobbsee

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Scott Ritchie

Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> On 20/03/09 05:26, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>> This is after a fresh install of Alpha 6 (albeit with my old home
>> directory). It might be somewhat hardware specific then.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott Ritchie
>>

> I know we had blacklisted pcspkr, which then changed name to snd_pcspkr
> (or similar), and in jaunty, returned to pcspkr. I've often wanted to
> add pcspkr to the blacklist, but am currently unsure how to do it.
>
> Hobbsee

In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Sarah Hobbs

On 20/03/09 14:25, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
> to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

Ah. Well, in that case, if there's no objections (which there shouldn't
be, as this is a regression), i'll upload a fix for this.

Hobbsee

Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Bjrn Torkelsson

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 15:17 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> On 20/03/09 14:25, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> > In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
> > to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scott Ritchie
> >

> Ah. Well, in that case, if there's no objections (which there shouldn't
> be, as this is a regression), i'll upload a fix for this.

Please don't. I think it is very valueble to have the system beep. For
instance for getting notifications on remote logins and that is very
different than any other sound on the system. See also:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/276067

/torkel

Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Lars Wirzenius

pe, 2009-03-20 kello 08:57 +0100, Bjrn Torkelsson kirjoitti:
> Please don't. I think it is very valueble to have the system beep.

As long as we're collecting opinions...

Please do. I think it is very valueable to have the system be quiet,
until told that it's OK to make noise.

> For instance for getting notifications on remote logins and that is very
> different than any other sound on the system. See also:

That's surely a pretty rare use case, and those who need it can
configure their systems to alert via beeps.