FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

On Friday 20 March 2009 3:57:36 am Björn Torkelsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 15:17 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> > On 20/03/09 14:25, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> > > In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
> > > to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Scott Ritchie
> > >
> >
> >
> > Ah. Well, in that case, if there's no objections (which there shouldn't
> > be, as this is a regression), i'll upload a fix for this.
>
> Please don't. I think it is very valueble to have the system beep. For
> instance for getting notifications on remote logins and that is very
> different than any other sound on the system. See also:

GNOME is able to set a "prettier" alert noise than the hardware system beep.
And if you really want the old sound...this isn't "let's not build the module"
just "let's not load it by default."

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
David Sanders
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

Hi All,

I don't usually pipe up on discussions on the list, but as a long time
Unix/Linux user, I would vote heavily against removing the system
speaker bell, especially when the system is used with no X environment
or sound card.

My 1 euro.

David


2009/3/20 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>:
> On Friday 20 March 2009 3:57:36 am Björn Torkelsson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 15:17 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
>> > On 20/03/09 14:25, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>> > > In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
>> > > to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>> > >
>> > > Thanks,
>> > > Scott Ritchie
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> > Ah. *Well, in that case, if there's no objections (which there shouldn't
>> > be, as this is a regression), i'll upload a fix for this.
>>
>> Please don't. I think it is very valueble to have the system beep. For
>> instance for getting notifications on remote logins and that is very
>> different than any other sound on the system. See also:
>
> GNOME is able to set a "prettier" alert noise than the hardware system beep.
> And if you really want the old sound...this isn't "let's not build the module"
> just "let's not load it by default."
>
> --
> Mackenzie Morgan
> http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
> apt-get moo
>
> --
> ubuntu-devel mailing list
> ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
>
>

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

> I don't usually pipe up on discussions on the list, but as a long time
> Unix/Linux user, I would vote heavily against removing the system
> speaker bell, especially when the system is used with no X environment
> or sound card.
>

On a server I wouldn't dream of doing that!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Chow Loong Jin
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 18:21 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I don't usually pipe up on discussions on the list, but as a long time
> > Unix/Linux user, I would vote heavily against removing the system
> > speaker bell, especially when the system is used with no X environment
> > or sound card.
> >
>
> On a server I wouldn't dream of doing that!
>
My servers sit in a server room, air-conditioned and locked up. If it
beeps, I can't hear it. And in a room where there are many servers, even
if I was there to hear it, I wouldn't know which server was beeping. It
shouldn't make a difference on servers IMO.
--
Chow Loong Jin
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Martin Olsson
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 18:21 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I don't usually pipe up on discussions on the list, but as a long time
>>> Unix/Linux user, I would vote heavily against removing the system
>>> speaker bell, especially when the system is used with no X environment
>>> or sound card.
>>>
>> On a server I wouldn't dream of doing that!
>>
> My servers sit in a server room, air-conditioned and locked up. If it
> beeps, I can't hear it. And in a room where there are many servers, even
> if I was there to hear it, I wouldn't know which server was beeping. It
> shouldn't make a difference on servers IMO.

What I always do in that I run this command on new Ubuntu systems to "fix" them:
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/audible_bell 0

This removes the PC-speaker beep from all the places where I find it annoying.
For example, when you write up a terminal and you press backspace even though
you didn't type any characters yet.

If unloading the module is controversial, let's disable it at the GUI level
at least? I completely agree that I don't want to bear another PC-speaker
beep in my life plx Some machines have incredibly annoying beeps while
others are barely audible at all. So the actual effect of invoking a
PC-speaker beep have to be considered "unknown" (and and such pointless?)

However, a while back my desktop started to continously beep the PC-speaker
when I was compiling stuff. Apparently my CPUs were overheating and I was
very very happy that it beeped so I figured it out (I didnt have lm_sensors
installed originally). Maybe that behavior won't be affected by unloading the
module though (in case it's hardwired from the CPU to the PC-speaker? not sure)




Martin

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

> My servers sit in a server room, air-conditioned and locked up. If it
> beeps, I can't hear it. And in a room where there are many servers, even
> if I was there to hear it, I wouldn't know which server was beeping. It
> shouldn't make a difference on servers IMO.

This is why you should not disable beep on servers in a server room:
http://www.bash.org/?5273

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Scott Ritchie
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009 3:57:36 am Björn Torkelsson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 15:17 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
>>> On 20/03/09 14:25, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>>>> In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
>>>> to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Scott Ritchie
>>>>
>>>
>>> Ah. Well, in that case, if there's no objections (which there shouldn't
>>> be, as this is a regression), i'll upload a fix for this.
>> Please don't. I think it is very valueble to have the system beep. For
>> instance for getting notifications on remote logins and that is very
>> different than any other sound on the system. See also:
>
> GNOME is able to set a "prettier" alert noise than the hardware system beep.
> And if you really want the old sound...this isn't "let's not build the module"
> just "let's not load it by default."
>
>

Except for the bug I linked, of course - I've never heard that pretty
alert sound outside of the play button on the Sound preferences window.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

On Friday 20 March 2009 3:40:11 pm Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > On Friday 20 March 2009 3:57:36 am Björn Torkelsson wrote:
> >> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 15:17 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> >>> On 20/03/09 14:25, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> >>>> In the past, modules like snd_pcsp were blacklisted by just adding them
> >>>> to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks,
> >>>> Scott Ritchie
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> Ah. Well, in that case, if there's no objections (which there shouldn't
> >>> be, as this is a regression), i'll upload a fix for this.
> >> Please don't. I think it is very valueble to have the system beep. For
> >> instance for getting notifications on remote logins and that is very
> >> different than any other sound on the system. See also:
> >
> > GNOME is able to set a "prettier" alert noise than the hardware system
beep.
> > And if you really want the old sound...this isn't "let's not build the
module"
> > just "let's not load it by default."
>
> Except for the bug I linked, of course - I've never heard that pretty
> alert sound outside of the play button on the Sound preferences window.

I was referring to what Sarah said she was going to do.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Sarah Hobbs
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

On 21/03/09 08:09, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> I was referring to what Sarah said she was going to do.
>
>

Well, looks like it wasn't so uncontraversial after all - even though
it's been a regression from the last 2 (at least) releases. Looks like
i'm not doing it then - and will manually blacklist it on my system.

Sarah

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

> Well, looks like it wasn't so uncontraversial after all - even though
> it's been a regression from the last 2 (at least) releases. *Looks like
> i'm not doing it then - and will manually blacklist it on my system.
>

Actually, Sarah, I do think that the issue should be fixed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org