Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Martin Pitt

Default Demoting isdnutils

Hello all,

Matthias and I pondered demoting isdnutils to universe. It doesn't
have a real maintainer in Debian [1] any more, doesn't get a lot of
attention in Ubuntu (except for packaging fixes) and ISDN has become
more and more obsolete even in Germany.

It also keeps cruft like tcl8.3 in main.

Does anyone feel attached to this package and could e. g. test if it
still works, and whether it works with Tcl 8.5? If nobody is
interested in it, then we should perhaps demote it to universe?

Thanks,

Martin

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/isdnutils.html
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Matthias Klose

Martin Pitt schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> Matthias and I pondered demoting isdnutils to universe. It doesn't
> have a real maintainer in Debian [1] any more, doesn't get a lot of
> attention in Ubuntu (except for packaging fixes) and ISDN has become
> more and more obsolete even in Germany.

Still having an ISDN phone connection ... the kernels after hardy don't support
the AVM drivers anymore, so the capi packages can be demoted. Other packages are
still useful for older passive ISDN hardware. I didn't check recent ISDN kernel
developments.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Tim Gardner

Matthias Klose wrote:
> Martin Pitt schrieb:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Matthias and I pondered demoting isdnutils to universe. It doesn't
>> have a real maintainer in Debian [1] any more, doesn't get a lot of
>> attention in Ubuntu (except for packaging fixes) and ISDN has become
>> more and more obsolete even in Germany.
>
> Still having an ISDN phone connection ... the kernels after hardy don't support
> the AVM drivers anymore, so the capi packages can be demoted. Other packages are
> still useful for older passive ISDN hardware. I didn't check recent ISDN kernel
> developments.

The kernel has not changed with respect to ISDN since we dropped support
after Hardy.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Alexander Sack

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:38:41PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Matthias and I pondered demoting isdnutils to universe. It doesn't
> have a real maintainer in Debian [1] any more, doesn't get a lot of
> attention in Ubuntu (except for packaging fixes) and ISDN has become
> more and more obsolete even in Germany.

I agree that from desktop side isndutils should get moved to
universe. I cannot even remember a recent request for ISDN support in
networkmanager ... so it seems not used an issue at all .

Demand on servers i dont know. But I guess its not an issue there
either.

- Alexander