Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Matt Zimmerman

Default Core packages i.e. Mesa in Ubuntu releases

(moving to ubuntu-devel as there's no need to keep this inside the tech
board)

Philip Wyett, CCed, raised a concern with regard to Mesa, which shipped with
a pre-release version in Ubuntu 8.04.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:35:05AM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Thanks for raising this.
>
> It certainly seems reasonable to move from an RCx to a release as an
> SRU.

In some circumstances, yes, but not generally (in my opinion). In general,
our preferred approach is to go out with a stable release, and we should
only (knowingly) deviate from that when we have a plan for how to support it
in the field.

The case where this can happen unknowingly is if Debian updates to a
pre-release version of a package we don't touch.

> We did so with Firefox3.

In that case, we made an explicit choice to ship the pre-release, and to
update it to the final release, well before Ubuntu released.

> It's less clear that we should SRU subsequent releases, like 7.0.4 after
> 7.0.3.
>
> Does the SRU process outline a preferred approach in these cases?

For point releases on a stable branch, yes. For pre-release snapshots, no.

--
- mdz

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Philip Wyett

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 10:27 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> (moving to ubuntu-devel as there's no need to keep this inside the tech
> board)
>
> Philip Wyett, CCed, raised a concern with regard to Mesa, which shipped with
> a pre-release version in Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:35:05AM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Thanks for raising this.
> >
> > It certainly seems reasonable to move from an RCx to a release as an
> > SRU.
>
> In some circumstances, yes, but not generally (in my opinion). In general,
> our preferred approach is to go out with a stable release, and we should
> only (knowingly) deviate from that when we have a plan for how to support it
> in the field.
>
> The case where this can happen unknowingly is if Debian updates to a
> pre-release version of a package we don't touch.
>
> > We did so with Firefox3.
>
> In that case, we made an explicit choice to ship the pre-release, and to
> update it to the final release, well before Ubuntu released.
>
> > It's less clear that we should SRU subsequent releases, like 7.0.4 after
> > 7.0.3.
> >
> > Does the SRU process outline a preferred approach in these cases?
>
> For point releases on a stable branch, yes. For pre-release snapshots, no.

I have posted a bug for the SRU update request to 7.0.3.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/344710

Regards

Phil

PS... At the request of Matt about my concerns about past moderation on
the list and after reading through and understanding the details @
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelModeration I wish to request being
added to the whitelist please.