FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Ivan Stetsenko
 
Default Evolution pop-up notifications

Hello everyone!

I know that I'm touching a painful topic, and I'm sorry if this question
was discussed before, but what happens now seems strange for me.

I've found four different ways, which should produce pop-up notification
about a new mail in evolution, and none of them work as it should, at
least for me. The problem is that I can't understand, which of them are
going to become a mainstream, and which are going to be dropped off.

Jean-Yves Lefort's mail notification plugin is used to communicate with
Jean-Yves Lefort's mail notification tool, but a) as for now, it is
packaged incorrectly, and b) after I've copied plugin to the correct
directory, mail notification produces a dialog window rather than a
pop-up. It looks like this method is dead, right?

Mail notification plugin written by Miguel Angel López Hernández and
Srinivasa Ragavan looks cool according to the description, but it does
nothing. Jean-Yves Lefort's mail notification tool does not recognize
it, and it seems to be useless by itself.

Indicator plugin, which seems to be a modern addition to evolution, is
not supposed to show pop-ups (well... At the moment, it does not even
change an icon in the panel indicator, but this should be a bug)

And an option within evolution itself (preferences -> mail preferences)
works, but it cannot provide any useful information about an e-mail,
only the fact, that there is an unread message. And it cannot display a
notification icon, but this is not so important.

I'll be happy to fill in a correct bug report, but I simply don't know,
against what should it be... I'll really appreciate any piece of advice!

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default Evolution pop-up notifications

On Saturday 14 March 2009 10:26:20 pm Ivan Stetsenko wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I know that I'm touching a painful topic, and I'm sorry if this question
> was discussed before, but what happens now seems strange for me.
>
> I've found four different ways, which should produce pop-up notification
> about a new mail in evolution, and none of them work as it should, at
> least for me. The problem is that I can't understand, which of them are
> going to become a mainstream, and which are going to be dropped off.
>
> Jean-Yves Lefort's mail notification plugin is used to communicate with
> Jean-Yves Lefort's mail notification tool, but a) as for now, it is
> packaged incorrectly, and b) after I've copied plugin to the correct
> directory, mail notification produces a dialog window rather than a
> pop-up. It looks like this method is dead, right?

That's because it's trying to have buttons. Notifications with notify-osd (the
new notification system) cannot have actions. The application *should* check
to see if the notification system in place has actions or not and act
accordingly. For applications which don't do this, dialogs are the current
workaround to allow the buttons to still exist.

> Mail notification plugin written by Miguel Angel López Hernández and
> Srinivasa Ragavan looks cool according to the description, but it does
> nothing. Jean-Yves Lefort's mail notification tool does not recognize
> it, and it seems to be useless by itself.

No idea on this one.

> Indicator plugin, which seems to be a modern addition to evolution, is
> not supposed to show pop-ups (well... At the moment, it does not even
> change an icon in the panel indicator, but this should be a bug)
>
> And an option within evolution itself (preferences -> mail preferences)
> works, but it cannot provide any useful information about an e-mail,
> only the fact, that there is an unread message. And it cannot display a
> notification icon, but this is not so important.

Those last two are meant to work together. It says "5 unread messages" in a
little black popup and then the indicator applet should change to show that
there are messages.

By the way, the indicator applet doesn't do anything for me either. It just
says "No Notifications" or something (not in GNOME right now, can't look).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org