Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 AM
"Cory K."

Default Messaging Indicator

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:57:13 +0000 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> That makes sense to me, but I'm not as sure about how all that works.
>> Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
>> meeting? I think that'd probably be a good place to work out the
>> dependencies correctly.
>>

> I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right people
> would be there or not. My thought is that if it's decided that
> notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then the
> package should recommend the standard library for providing it.

As someone that manages a derivative (Ubuntu Studio) this is one change
(though we are currently testing notify-osd) we don't want forced on us
as a recommend. We already have mixed feedback from our users.

-Cory K.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Sunday 08 March 2009 9:25:44 pm Cory K. wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:57:13 +0000 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That makes sense to me, but I'm not as sure about how all that works.
> >> Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
> >> meeting? I think that'd probably be a good place to work out the
> >> dependencies correctly.
> >>

> > I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right people
> > would be there or not. My thought is that if it's decided that
> > notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then the
> > package should recommend the standard library for providing it.
>
> As someone that manages a derivative (Ubuntu Studio) this is one change
> (though we are currently testing notify-osd) we don't want forced on us
> as a recommend. We already have mixed feedback from our users.

Scott's talking about having Pidgin recommend pidgin-libnotify so that Pidgin
notifications can work in derivatives without needing notify-osd. At least, I
think that's how it works.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 22:07:41 -0400 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Sunday 08 March 2009 9:25:44 pm Cory K. wrote:
>> Scott Kitterman wrote:

>> > I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right
people
>> > would be there or not. My thought is that if it's decided that
>> > notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then
the
>> > package should recommend the standard library for providing it.
>>
>> As someone that manages a derivative (Ubuntu Studio) this is one change
>> (though we are currently testing notify-osd) we don't want forced on us
>> as a recommend. We already have mixed feedback from our users.
>
>Scott's talking about having Pidgin recommend pidgin-libnotify so that
Pidgin
>notifications can work in derivatives without needing notify-osd. At
least, I
>think that's how it works.

Yes. That's exactly the question I'm trying to make sure we have properly
sorted out.

Thanks,

Scott K

Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Ted Gould

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 21:25 -0400, Cory K. wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:57:13 +0000 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> That makes sense to me, but I'm not as sure about how all that works.
> >> Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
> >> meeting? I think that'd probably be a good place to work out the
> >> dependencies correctly.
> >
> > I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right people
> > would be there or not. My thought is that if it's decided that
> > notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then the
> > package should recommend the standard library for providing it.
>
> As someone that manages a derivative (Ubuntu Studio) this is one change
> (though we are currently testing notify-osd) we don't want forced on us
> as a recommend. We already have mixed feedback from our users.

I'm confused now

All I'd really like is for the default experience that people get is
that they get Pidgin configured to work well with notify-osd. How it
gets packaged to do that is not my expertise.

Can someone suggest the best way to do that in a way that works well for
derivates? I'm quite sure I don't understand all the packaging issues
here.

--Ted

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Chow Loong Jin

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:23 +0200, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 21:25 -0400, Cory K. wrote:
> > Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right people
> > > would be there or not. My thought is that if it's decided that
> > > notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then the
> > > package should recommend the standard library for providing it.
> >
> > As someone that manages a derivative (Ubuntu Studio) this is one change
> > (though we are currently testing notify-osd) we don't want forced on us
> > as a recommend. We already have mixed feedback from our users.
>
> I'm confused now
>
> All I'd really like is for the default experience that people get is
> that they get Pidgin configured to work well with notify-osd. How it
> gets packaged to do that is not my expertise.
>
> Can someone suggest the best way to do that in a way that works well for
> derivates? I'm quite sure I don't understand all the packaging issues
> here.
>
> --Ted

If this is such an issue on non-GNOME DEs, how about making
ubuntu-desktop recommend pidgin-libnotify? Right now, it seems that
ubuntu-desktop recommends pidgin and pidgin-otr, so it should be a
trivial issue to add pidgin-libnotify to this list.
--
Chow Loong Jin

Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:23:17 +0200 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 21:25 -0400, Cory K. wrote:
>> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right
people
>> > would be there or not. My thought is that if it's decided that
>> > notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then
the
>> > package should recommend the standard library for providing it.
>>
>> As someone that manages a derivative (Ubuntu Studio) this is one change
>> (though we are currently testing notify-osd) we don't want forced on us
>> as a recommend. We already have mixed feedback from our users.
>
>I'm confused now
>
>All I'd really like is for the default experience that people get is
>that they get Pidgin configured to work well with notify-osd. How it
>gets packaged to do that is not my expertise.
>
>Can someone suggest the best way to do that in a way that works well for
>derivates? I'm quite sure I don't understand all the packaging issues
>here.

I think the approach pitti suggested in the bug with .desktop files to get
the correct (for that flavor) notification library is good. I also think
your data call here is good, so we just need to see which flavor falls into
which group and let pitti do his magic (I'm pretty sure anyway).

Scott K

Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Martin Pitt

Chow Loong Jin [2009-03-09 21:32 +0800]:
> If this is such an issue on non-GNOME DEs, how about making
> ubuntu-desktop recommend pidgin-libnotify?

It does already. That's in fact what keeps it in main and on the
Ubuntu CDs. :-)

$ apt-cache rdepends pidgin-libnotify
pidgin-libnotify
Reverse Depends:
ubuntu-desktop

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:10:08 +0100 Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Chow Loong Jin [2009-03-09 21:32 +0800]:
>> If this is such an issue on non-GNOME DEs, how about making
>> ubuntu-desktop recommend pidgin-libnotify?
>
>It does already. That's in fact what keeps it in main and on the
>Ubuntu CDs. :-)
>
>$ apt-cache rdepends pidgin-libnotify
>pidgin-libnotify
>Reverse Depends:
> ubuntu-desktop

Which brings us back to my original question: If it's been decided that the
appropriate default configuration for pidgin is to use notifications (and
it seems it has) then shouldn't the package just recommend it directly so
there will be notifications (of whatever type) independent ofthe installed
desktop?

Scott K