FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Ted Gould
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify, how
> is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla session
> supposed to work?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
changes.

--Ted

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:23:51 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify,
how
>> is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla
session
>> supposed to work?
>
>Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
>no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
>Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
>changes.

Just to make sure I have this right ... If libnotify is installed users
will, modulo bug fixes and the formatting changes, the traditional behavior?

If so that sounds like the best advice for Kubuntu users who also use
Pidgin for this cycle.

Scott K

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Chow Loong Jin
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 17:23 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify, how
> > is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla session
> > supposed to work?
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
> no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
> Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
> changes.
>
> --Ted
>
No, Pidgin doesn't link to it, pidgin-libnotify does. And the changes in
pidgin-libnotify were to use indicator-messages if present, and to avoid
using actions if not supported.
--
Chow Loong Jin
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Monday 02 March 2009 7:43:59 pm Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:23:51 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify,
> how
> >> is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla
> session
> >> supposed to work?
> >
> >Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
> >no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
> >Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
> >changes.
>
> Just to make sure I have this right ... If libnotify is installed users
> will, modulo bug fixes and the formatting changes, the traditional behavior?
>
> If so that sounds like the best advice for Kubuntu users who also use
> Pidgin for this cycle.

I have pidgin-libnotify installed and enabled. I only see the new
notifications.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Ted Gould
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 19:43 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:23:51 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify,
> how
> >> is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla
> session
> >> supposed to work?
> >
> >Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
> >no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
> >Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
> >changes.
>
> Just to make sure I have this right ... If libnotify is installed users
> will, modulo bug fixes and the formatting changes, the traditional behavior?
>
> If so that sounds like the best advice for Kubuntu users who also use
> Pidgin for this cycle.

Yes, but it's not libnotify itself. It's "pidgin-libnotify" which is a
plugin that links the two together. The plugin will detect if the
notification daemon has things like actions or append features and use
them appropriately.

--Ted

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:59:42 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 19:43 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:23:51 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> >On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> >> I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify,
>> how
>> >> is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla
>> session
>> >> supposed to work?
>> >
>> >Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
>> >no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
>> >Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
>> >changes.
>>
>> Just to make sure I have this right ... If libnotify is installed users
>> will, modulo bug fixes and the formatting changes, the traditional
behavior?
>>
>> If so that sounds like the best advice for Kubuntu users who also use
>> Pidgin for this cycle.
>
>Yes, but it's not libnotify itself. It's "pidgin-libnotify" which is a
>plugin that links the two together. The plugin will detect if the
>notification daemon has things like actions or append features and use
>them appropriately.
>
Currently this package is neither recommended nor suggested by pidgin. It
seems to me this should at least be a suggests and probably a recommends
(it's seeded in ubuntu-desktop, but it seems like something pidgin users
from other flavors would want)?

Scott K

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Monday 02 March 2009 6:23:51 pm Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I'm a bit suprised. If Pidgin doesn't work correctly with libnotify, how
> > is the (sorry, I can't recall pittli's fancy word for it) vanilla session
> > supposed to work?
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pidgin now links to both libraries. We made
> no changes to libnotify that I'm aware of. Most of the changes to
> Pidgin's libnotify support were bug fixes and a couple formatting
> changes.

Yet if I remove notify-osd and try to just use pidgin-libnotify, there are no
notifications whatsoever. This did work before notify-osd was added.

Bug 337078 filed regarding this.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Ted Gould
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 22:45 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:59:42 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 19:43 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> If so that sounds like the best advice for Kubuntu users who also use
> >> Pidgin for this cycle.
> >
> >Yes, but it's not libnotify itself. It's "pidgin-libnotify" which is a
> >plugin that links the two together. The plugin will detect if the
> >notification daemon has things like actions or append features and use
> >them appropriately.
> >
> Currently this package is neither recommended nor suggested by pidgin. It
> seems to me this should at least be a suggests and probably a recommends
> (it's seeded in ubuntu-desktop, but it seems like something pidgin users
> from other flavors would want)?

That makes sense to me, but I'm not as sure about how all that works.
Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
meeting? I think that'd probably be a good place to work out the
dependencies correctly.

--Ted

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Martin Pitt
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 22:45 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > Currently this package is neither recommended nor suggested by pidgin. It
> > seems to me this should at least be a suggests and probably a recommends
> > (it's seeded in ubuntu-desktop, but it seems like something pidgin users
> > from other flavors would want)?

Suggests would be fine, but I'd object against recommends. After all,
pidgin works just fine without it.

Also, since apparently the messaging indicator only works well with
notify-osd, and notify-osd isn't installed by default in all flavours,
we should handle this through the *-desktop packages IMHO, at least
for Jaunty.

Ted Gould [2009-03-07 14:57 +0000]:
> Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
> meeting?

Sure, we can talk that. I'll also have some questions about the
remaining plan for Jaunty, since right now the m-i/pidgin integration
and default configuration is still very poor IMHO.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Developer (www.debian.org)
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:57:13 +0000 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 22:45 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:59:42 -0600 Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> >On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 19:43 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> >> If so that sounds like the best advice for Kubuntu users who also use
>> >> Pidgin for this cycle.
>> >
>> >Yes, but it's not libnotify itself. It's "pidgin-libnotify" which is a
>> >plugin that links the two together. The plugin will detect if the
>> >notification daemon has things like actions or append features and use
>> >them appropriately.
>> >
>> Currently this package is neither recommended nor suggested by pidgin.
It
>> seems to me this should at least be a suggests and probably a recommends
>> (it's seeded in ubuntu-desktop, but it seems like something pidgin users
>> from other flavors would want)?
>
>That makes sense to me, but I'm not as sure about how all that works.
>Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
>meeting? I think that'd probably be a good place to work out the
>dependencies correctly.
>

I'm not generally at those meetings, so I can't say if the right people
would be there or not. My thought is that is it's decided that
notifications should be part of the 'standard' pidgin experience then the
package should recommend the standard library for providing it.

Scott K

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org