Old 03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default Making Update Manager less obtrusive

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:42:42 +0100 Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Scott Kitterman [2009-03-02 7:29 -0500]:
>> Up to a week later is not timely.
>
>It's certainly much *more* often than I'd want my parents or wife to
>upgrade their system. Please keep in mind that in general, as an user
>of stable releases, these updates are a burden for me, not something
>I crave for in general. If a bad bug affects me and I wait for
>updates, then I can still check update-manager manually, but in
>general I want to work *with* my system as a stable user, not *on* it.
>
>That's why I proposed to disable those update notifications for
>non-security updates completely; however, I appreciate that this might
>not be a majority opinion, thus I can reasonably live with the
>compromise of "once per week", since/if there is an easy way to
>disable them completely.

I can appreciate that. We have many types of consumers of our stable
releases and I think that there will be more than a small number that will
consider this change to be a significant regression.

I am a user of stable releases on some systems and I would not appreciate
it if this change were to affect one of my systems.

Scott K