Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

Default Improving resume speed

On Saturday 21 February 2009 11:23:32 am (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Jaunty had/has the objective to have a fast startup (<25 secs),
> But the current technique to resume hibernated machines (using the kernel
mode) is too slow, and doesnt use compression.
> pm-utils (pm-hibernate via s2disk) currently does this, and have a much
nicer UI (it shows progress), but unfortunately it got broken last weekend on
jaunty [1].

Kernel modesetting for graphics was mentioned as a possibility for Karmic.
That should make the flicker time for graphics after resuming from suspend
shorten considerably.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Steve Langasek

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 02:48:18PM -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 11:23:32 am (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> > Jaunty had/has the objective to have a fast startup (<25 secs),
> > But the current technique to resume hibernated machines (using the kernel
> mode) is too slow, and doesnt use compression.
> > pm-utils (pm-hibernate via s2disk) currently does this, and have a much
> nicer UI (it shows progress), but unfortunately it got broken last weekend on
> jaunty [1].

> Kernel modesetting for graphics was mentioned as a possibility for Karmic.
> That should make the flicker time for graphics after resuming from suspend
> shorten considerably.

I believe he's talking about hibernate rather than suspend, where the
largest cost is reading the kernel image back from disk.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Chow Loong Jin

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 12:45 +0000, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Olá Steve e a todos.
>
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 17:45:07 Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 02:48:18PM -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > > Kernel modesetting for graphics was mentioned as a possibility for Karmic.
> > > That should make the flicker time for graphics after resuming from suspend
> > > shorten considerably.
> >
> > I believe he's talking about hibernate rather than suspend, where the
> > largest cost is reading the kernel image back from disk.
>
> Yes, of course.
> I meant resume from Hibernation (with kernel mode or usw)
Yes, so regarding this issue, why don't we make s2disk the default for
pm-utils? It does seem to have more benefits than the plain old kernel
method.
--
Chow Loong Jin