Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Colin Watson

Default Per-package uploaders: consequences for team structure

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:10:42PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> == Policy for per-package upload permissions ==
>
> Emmet Hikory sent a proposal to the Technical Board mailing list, which
> was discussed and largely agreed with a few generalisations (remove
> language making it specific to small sets of packages and small numbers
> of developers, and remove text about the lack of an existing maintenance
> team). The Board will deal with final polishing and ratify the proposal
> out of band.

This proposal is likely to be ratified:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers/PerPackageUploaders

One thing it calls for is for these per-package uploaders to be members
of the Ubuntu development team for the purposes of voting in such things
as Technical Board elections, although not for the purposes of component
upload privileges. This is slightly problematic right now as polls are
attached to a single team, that being ~ubuntu-dev in this case.

Here's the proposal I sent to the technical-board list earlier today. I
think it's technically sound; unless there are any objections, I plan to
implement this at the start of next week, so please do speak up if you
think there's a problem.

Ideally, I would like to be able to add per-package uploaders to the
ubuntu-dev team. However, this would entail some structural adjustment.
We currently have:

individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)

--> ubuntu-dev (universe/multiverse upload, polls)
/
individuals --> motu

If we instead had:

individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)

| individuals ------> ubuntu-dev (polls)
v /
individuals --> motu (universe/multiverse upload)

... then it seems to me that it would work better. In other words, make
ubuntu-core-dev a member of motu, reassign component upload permissions
for universe and multiverse from ubuntu-dev to motu, and begin adding
per-package uploaders (starting with Stefan) to ubuntu-dev. Would anyone
object to these changes?

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Kees Cook

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 06:21:25PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Ideally, I would like to be able to add per-package uploaders to the
> ubuntu-dev team. However, this would entail some structural adjustment.
> We currently have:
>
> individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)
>
> --> ubuntu-dev (universe/multiverse upload, polls)
> /
> individuals --> motu
>
> If we instead had:
>
> individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)
> |
> | individuals ------> ubuntu-dev (polls)
> v /
> individuals --> motu (universe/multiverse upload)
>
> ... then it seems to me that it would work better. In other words, make
> ubuntu-core-dev a member of motu, reassign component upload permissions
> for universe and multiverse from ubuntu-dev to motu, and begin adding
> per-package uploaders (starting with Stefan) to ubuntu-dev. Would anyone
> object to these changes?

How do bug subscriptions factor into this? Would it maybe make sense to
take the current structure and add something like "ubuntu-developer" off
the edge (since core-dev is already a member of ubuntu-dev):

individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)

--> ubuntu-dev (universe/multiverse upload, polls)
/ |
individuals --> motu |

individuals -------------> ubuntu-developers (polls)

This way no upload rights, bug subscriptions, etc need to be moved around?
Or am I missing something?

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Colin Watson

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 01:24:59PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> How do bug subscriptions factor into this?

I was guessing that motu and ubuntu-core-dev were pretty similar in
terms of bug subscriptions and assignment, since both are disparate
teams for which it probably isn't suitable to assign the whole team to
anything. Launchpad says [1] that the motu team is currently subscribed
to 35 bugs, the newest of which is bug 251737, so this doesn't seem like
a huge problem.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/~motu/+subscribedbugs

> Would it maybe make sense to take the current structure and add
> something like "ubuntu-developer" off the edge (since core-dev is
> already a member of ubuntu-dev):
>
> individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)
>
> --> ubuntu-dev (universe/multiverse upload, polls)
> / |
> individuals --> motu |

> individuals -------------> ubuntu-developers (polls)
>
> This way no upload rights, bug subscriptions, etc need to be moved around?
> Or am I missing something?

My concern with this type of approach was that having ubuntu-dev and
ubuntu-developer would be confusing. ubuntu-dev has always meant "all
Ubuntu developers" and I wanted to try to retain that. Since we have the
distinction between motu and ubuntu-dev anyway, I thought it might make
sense to use it.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Luca Falavigna

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Colin Watson

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 06:21:25PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> One thing it calls for is for these per-package uploaders to be members
> of the Ubuntu development team for the purposes of voting in such things
> as Technical Board elections, although not for the purposes of component
> upload privileges. This is slightly problematic right now as polls are
> attached to a single team, that being ~ubuntu-dev in this case.
>
> Here's the proposal I sent to the technical-board list earlier today. I
> think it's technically sound; unless there are any objections, I plan to
> implement this at the start of next week, so please do speak up if you
> think there's a problem.

I've implemented these changes now. Please let me know if there are any
problems.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]