Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Chow Loong Jin

Default Auto-launching of applications

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:40 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Chow Loong Jin [2009-02-26 16:20 +0800]:
> > I think you're missing my point. Firstly, update-notifier does not have
> > windows, unless I'm gravely mistaken.
>
> Right, I meant "update-manager", sorry.
Yeah, so back to my point about the spoofing of dialogs and windows.. If
Update Manager didn't get spawned automatically this would be the least
of our worries, because if a user didn't open the window themselves,
then the user would automatically know that it's spoofed, unless (pardon
the expression) really dimwitted.

Somewhere earlier in this thread there was also a mention about how
window management is the domain of the user, and no application should
spawn windows automatically unless explicitly requested. I agree with
this. Any other behaviour does make my computer seem possessed and no
longer within my control.

--
Chow Loong Jin