Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Mathias Gug

Default Server Team 20090210 meeting minutes

Hi,

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with
the irc logs here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20090210.

==== SRU for ebox ====

mathiaz reported that the relevant ebox packages for the intrepid SRU had been
uploaded to the intrepid-proposed pocket. They're waiting to be accepted by
the archive team.

==== Screen profiles ====

kirkland announced that a new version of the screen-profile package had been
uploaded to the archive. Some new features have been added (ec2-cost estimator
for the status bar) as well as the usual round of bug fixes. He considers
screen-profiles to be feature complete for Jaunty. A PPA[1] has been created
to provide screen and screen-profiles packages for intrepid and hardy. Testing
is welcome.

[1]: https://edge.launchpad.net/~screen-profiles/+archive/ppa

==== Update ServerGuide for Jaunty ====

sommer mentioned that a few sections of the server guide had been updated. The
list is kept in a wiki page[2] and updated sections are marked as needing a
review. Help in doing so would be appreciated.

ACTION: sommer to ping mdke about keeping doc.ubuntu.com up-to-date

ACTION: sommer to mark all relevant section as Needs review rather then Done

[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyServerGuide

==== Postfix and Dovecot integration ====

ivoks gave a status of the dovecot/postfix integration planned for jaunty. The
goal is to have postfix use the dovecot lda, provide SASL authentication via
dovecot and use maildir as the default mail store. After some discussion it
was suggested to provide a different dovecot configuration file (dovecot-
postfix.conf) and modify dovecot's init script to use it if available instead
of the default configuration file.

ACTION: ivoks to prepare a debdiff implementing the proposed solution.

==== Power management ====

kirkland noted that cpu frequently scaling was not enabled in a default server
install. He asked whether powernowd should be installed by default by a server
install. soren pointed to a thread on ubuntu-server[3] discussing this topic.

kirkland also reported on his suspend and hibernate tests with server
hardware: all of them worked beautifully. In the process he wrote up a MIR for
the wakeonlan package. He is looking for volunteers to test suspend and
hibernate on server hardware.

[3]: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2008-September/002184.html

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 17th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-
meeting.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Etienne Goyer

Mathias Gug wrote:
> ==== Postfix and Dovecot integration ====
>
> ivoks gave a status of the dovecot/postfix integration planned for jaunty. The
> goal is to have postfix use the dovecot lda, provide SASL authentication via
> dovecot and use maildir as the default mail store. After some discussion it
> was suggested to provide a different dovecot configuration file (dovecot-
> postfix.conf) and modify dovecot's init script to use it if available instead
> of the default configuration file.

Maybe it should be toggled by a variable in /etc/default/postfix?

While on the subject, instead of having Postfix deliver directly to
Maildir, was using the Dovecot's deliver command considered? Doing so
would allow the use of Sieve script to get the elusive server-side
filtering functionality without resorting to procmail. On my own mail
server, I use the following in main.cf:

mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -m "${EXTENSION}"

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd