-   -   Full network support (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-development/242486-full-network-support.html)

Slavutinsky Victor 02-08-2009 08:26 AM

Full network support

Dear developers, there's a little problem to be solved. I've ask your
help in it. This question arosed many times on other places like
launchpad bugs, launchpad blueprints, official and unofficial forums,
etc, for years already.

By now, network support in Ubuntu downloadable Desktop Edition CD is
partial still. It not include packages like network-manager-pptp,
network-manager-vpnc, and so on.

It prevent some users from switch to Ubuntu and Linux from other
operation systems, because in that case they must to download that
packages to use network to download that packages. It makes straight
unhelped Ubuntu installation impossible.

Explanation of Ubuntu install process for that users looks like: "Check
your processor type, get proper Ubuntu branch, after that go to
site ... , download packages .... and ... and ... if you have that
processor type, ... and ... and ... in other case ..."

In that moment user said "Berrr... I shoulda install something else."

It's unacceptable to Enterprise level operation system.

There is little free space on CD. Maybe some end user package must to be
excluded to add full network support. Maybe LiveDVD branch can be
added.

But it's a question of initial system install knowledge level. For end
user systems this level must be as low as possible, at the expence of
some other functions if needed.

Mackenzie Morgan 02-09-2009 04:42 PM

Full network support

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 12:26 +0300, Slavutinsky Victor wrote:
> Dear developers, there's a little problem to be solved. I've ask your
> help in it. This question arosed many times on other places like
> launchpad bugs, launchpad blueprints, official and unofficial forums,
> etc, for years already.
>
> By now, network support in Ubuntu downloadable Desktop Edition CD is
> partial still. It not include packages like network-manager-pptp,
> network-manager-vpnc, and so on.

What you're saying about a painful install process to get those packages
bothers me. I suppose it'd be nice if on packages.ubuntu.com there were
AptURLs available...

Another potential route:
vpnc is installed by default
Use vpnc to connect from command line first time
Go to packages.ubuntu.com
Download VPNC plugin for NM so you have a GUI

The rationale is that the user can make the initial connection and plain
vpnc is a smaller package than n-m-vpnc, hopefully making it easier to
fit it on the CD.

Though I would like to point out that from your definition, I cannot
think of any operating system with "100% network support" out of the
box. As far as I know, none include a VPN by default. Some don't even
include ethernet by default :P

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

"Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)" 02-09-2009 06:28 PM

Full network support

2009/2/9 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>:
> What you're saying about a painful install process to get those packages
> bothers me. I suppose it'd be nice if on packages.ubuntu.com there were
> AptURLs available...

I think he means that he can't download them as he needs the package
to connect to the Internet.

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

Steven Harms 02-09-2009 07:05 PM

Full network support

There is a lot of user support for providing these packages by
default, I know in 2007 there was this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-pptp/+bug/107738

Steven Harms

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals
(RainCT) <sgevatter@ubuntu.cat> wrote:
> 2009/2/9 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>:
>> What you're saying about a painful install process to get those packages
>> bothers me. I suppose it'd be nice if on packages.ubuntu.com there were
>> AptURLs available...
>
> I think he means that he can't download them as he needs the package
> to connect to the Internet.
>
> --
> Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)
> Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.

GPG Key ID: C92EF367 / 1428 FE8E 1E07 DDA8 EFD7 195F DCCD F5B3 C92E F367