Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default ctrl-alt-backspace aka don't zap via GUI, was: lp:~albertomilone/gnome-control-center/randr-virtual into lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/gnome-control-center/ubuntu

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:12:41 +0100 Stefan Potyra <sistpoty@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>[for the record, discussion about allowing a user to activate
>ctrl-alt-backspace via gui].
>On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 06:16:02PM -0000, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>>
>> One more point. This is *so* not the place [..] to have a
>> conversation like this. [..]
>> If you have a problem with it, use the
>> ubuntu-devel mailing list.
>
>Forwarding to ubuntu-devel, since I fully share your believe that this
>discussion should be held on a mailing list instead of a merge request.
>
>Please only follow-up to the mailing list in response.

To follow-up the discussion from the merge request...

In that discusion it was declared that alt-sysreq-k was "better" because it's harder to
hit accidentally and more reliable due to being implemented in the kernel
and not X.

So far I've tested this approach on one laptop and I find it "not working".
If we are going to hand this to end users as the solution to a locked X, I
think it needs testing first.

Scott K

Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 16:06 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> So far I've tested this approach on one laptop and I find it "not working".
> If we are going to hand this to end users as the solution to a locked X, I
> think it needs testing first.

Did it simply hang X for you? SysRq seems to be having problems in
Jaunty on my laptop, but a friend of mine tried it on his (where SysRq
works), and he said it hung X, rather than restarting it.

As mentioned on replies to my blog and Bryce's, not all keyboards have
SysRq keys, and not all SysRq keys are properly recognized as being
SysRq keys.

On the zap front:
I was sorry to see the Xorg devs ignore the mention of SuSE's
do-it-twice patch when they were discussing this on their mailing list.
If you've got to do it twice, that should make it even harder to do
accidentally. I agree with Timo that "if it didn't work the first time,
try again" is a common way of thinking and thus easily discoverable if
you're familiar with the zap shortcut to begin with.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Hugo Heden

2009/1/30 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:

> To follow-up the discussion from the merge request...
>
> In that discusion it was declared that alt-sysreq-k was "better" because it's harder to
> hit accidentally and more reliable due to being implemented in the kernel
> and not X.
>
> So far I've tested this approach on one laptop and I find it "not working".
> If we are going to hand this to end users as the solution to a locked X, I
> think it needs testing first.

I dislike Ctrl-Alt-Delete, because I sometimes hit them by accident.
Nevertheless Ctrl-Alt-Delete still seems to be needed because it's
more reliable than Ctrl-Alt-F1 and other variants when X hangs.

So I *neither* want Ctrl-Alt-Delete working like today, *nor*
completely disabled.

Two separate propositions follow. No GUI would be needed to edit any
preferences in either case.

1) So I would like Ctrl-Alt-Delete to take me out of X to a GRUB-like
menu asking me something like "Do you want to immediately shut down
the log-in session, thereby losing any unsaved work?". Is that
technically possible?

2) We could do what SuSE did (or does?): "Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
on GNOME, KDE, or any other graphical desktop does not terminate the X
server any longer. If you press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace within 2 seconds
again, it terminates the X server. On most hardware you hear a beep
after the first Ctrl-Alt-Backspace press." See
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/SuSE/2008-07/msg00442.html

Best Regards

Hugo Heden

Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:48:44 -0500 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 16:06 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> So far I've tested this approach on one laptop and I find it "not
working".
>> If we are going to hand this to end users as the solution to a locked
X, I
>> think it needs testing first.
>
>Did it simply hang X for you? SysRq seems to be having problems in
>Jaunty on my laptop, but a friend of mine tried it on his (where SysRq
>works), and he said it hung X, rather than restarting it.
>
>As mentioned on replies to my blog and Bryce's, not all keyboards have
>SysRq keys, and not all SysRq keys are properly recognized as being
>SysRq keys.

In my case it didn't appear to affect X. It seemed to cause the wifi light
to blink, but no X restart. Further troubleshooting is on my list, but
pretty far down.

Scott K