Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Lars Wirzenius

Default piuparts, debootstrap and newer releases

I've just tested piuparts on Ubuntu, and it seems to be working fine, at
least for basic usage, with one exception: on release foo, you can't
test packages for release foo+1 (or greater). This is because
debootstrap in each release doesn't handle (know about) newer releases.

Would it be reasonable to update debootstrap to handle newer releases?
This would make it possible to run piuparts in a stable environment to
test packages in newer releases, including the one still in development?

This would require updating debootstrap in hardy and intrepid with the
version in jaunty. In the future, it might be useful to update
debootstrap at the end of a release cycle so that it handles the next
release.

Or should people wanting to run piuparts against newer releases just use
a backported debootstrap? That's a fine option too, but requires more
tweaking from the user.

Opinions?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Martin Pitt

Hello Lars,

Lars Wirzenius [2009-01-16 16:36 +0200]:
> Would it be reasonable to update debootstrap to handle newer releases?

SRUs for updating to newer stable releases would be bearable, but not
for the current dev release (jaunty), since we can't make promises
that it would still be working when we release it. In practice that
should be a small problem, since we haven't changed the script since
gutsy, but it could happen.

But it's not something SRUs are intended to do, and I'd rather avoid
it.

> Or should people wanting to run piuparts against newer releases just use
> a backported debootstrap? That's a fine option too, but requires more
> tweaking from the user.

Putting jaunty's debootstrap into *-backports is absolutely acceptable
IMHO. You could even go as far as to provide a script in piuparts
which downloads and uses the latest debootstrap in the archive?

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:

Hello Lars,*<snip>

> Or should people wanting to run piuparts against newer releases just use

> a backported debootstrap? That's a fine option too, but requires more

> tweaking from the user.

Putting jaunty's debootstrap into *-backports is absolutely acceptable

IMHO. You could even go as far as to provide a script in piuparts

which downloads and uses the latest debootstrap in the archive?
If I'm not mistaken, I think the backports team do backport debootstrap.
*

Martin
<snip>

Cheers,
--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer

Cell: 506-449-5899
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, I think the backports team do backport debootstrap.

Yeah, I checked it an hour ago for the UDW Spanish session

emilio@saturno:~$ rmadison -u ubuntu debootstrap
debootstrap | 0.3.3.0ubuntu2 | dapper | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.3build1 | gutsy | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.7~dapper1 | dapper-backports | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.7~feisty1 | feisty-backports | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.7~gutsy1 | gutsy-backports | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.8 | hardy | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.10 | intrepid | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.10ubuntu1~hardy1 | hardy-backports | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.10ubuntu1~intrepid1 | intrepid-backports | source, all
debootstrap | 1.0.10ubuntu2 | jaunty | source, all

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:31:24 -0400 "Cody A.W. Somerville"
<cody-somerville@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken, I think the backports team do backport debootstrap.

Yes. I think we're a revision behind, but we generally backport deboostrap
early to make it easy for people to work on the next release who aren't yet
running it.

In the case of Jaunty we backport both to Intrepid and Hardy for people
staying on an LTS release.

Scott K

Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Lars Wirzenius

ma, 2009-01-19 kello 19:23 +0100, Martin Pitt kirjoitti:
> Putting jaunty's debootstrap into *-backports is absolutely acceptable
> IMHO.

Other people noted that debootstrap is regularly backported already.
Very cool. I re-ran my tests with the backported debootstrap, and now I
can successfully test packages from dapper, hardy, intrepid, and jaunty
on hardy, intrepid, and jaunty. Excellent. Thus, everything is as it
should be. Cake in the lunch room at noon!

> You could even go as far as to provide a script in piuparts
> which downloads and uses the latest debootstrap in the archive?

I don't think I am immediately comfortable adding a layer to download
code from the net that will be run outside the virtual system, so I'll
skip that for now. Perhaps in the future.