-   -   i8kutils amd64 package missing from Ubuntu 8.10, i8k kernel module supports amd64 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-development/228854-i8kutils-amd64-package-missing-ubuntu-8-10-i8k-kernel-module-supports-amd64.html)

Max Bowsher 01-12-2009 11:17 PM

Andrew Paprocki wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.10 does not provide a 64-bit package for i8kutils. I believe
> this was done because the i8k kernel module did not used to support
> the amd64 architecture. The kernel module shipped with 8.10
> (2.6.27-9-generic) does support amd64, so all that is missing is the
> amd64 package of i8kutils.
>
> Who needs to be contacted to get this package built so Dell users can
> install it? This brainstorm issue can be closed once this is
> completed:
>
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14607/

Assuming that i8kutils builds and works on amd64 without further
changes, then two things would need to happen, IIUC:

1) The source package needs adjusting to allow the additional
architecture in debian/control.

2) The Packages-arch-specific file needs to be adjusted.

The ideal person to take care of both would be the Debian maintainer of
the package, who I see you already have in the CC list.

Though, there's already a Debian bug <http://bugs.debian.org/480938>
open on this since May, and there's no comment from the maintainer on
any i8kutils bug since 2005, which doesn't bode well for getting in
contact :-/

By the way, there's also a gkrellm-i8k package mentioned in
Packages-arch-specific - perhaps this could use similar treatment?

Max.